This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 14 Study

An archived study of the first book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Chapter 14 Study

Postby Kanakaberaka » April 30th, 2006, 12:03 am

Synopsis: Ransom makes haste towards Meldilorn following Whin's directions. What follows in a detailed travelogue from the base of the handramit to the harandra (planet's true surface) at the top. Along the way Ransom is challenged not only by the Alpine distace to the top, but by his own nagging despair. Finaly as the sun sets he reaches a cave at the top, only to discover it occupied by a sorn!
----------------------------------------------------

Being an action adventure fan I thought that Lewis could have dispensed with Ransom's inner dialogue during his ascent to Augray's Tower. I'm sure there's much to say about charater development. But I enjoyed Lewis' wonderful discription of Ransom's climb out of the handramit and the literaly heart pounding excitement of his discovery. One thing is for sure; C.S. Lewis may not have been savy about contemporary outer space theories, but he sure was aware of practical science problems. We see this as Ransom tackles the steep trail to the harandra with unexpected ease at first. And with antisipated langor as he reaches the top in pain simply to breath. The atmosphere of the handramit is nicely discribed as appearing misty when viewed from the towering trail above.

Of course it's Ransom's internal dialogue which raises the story above pulp fiction. In an adventure story the author would only have to give his impressions about the actions his hero was enduring. Lewis gives up a peek into the doubts and weaknesses of Ransom as he struggles upward. On a positive note, Ransom is in control on this foray into the Malacandrian wilderness, as opposed to his first escape into it the first time:
" It was the difference between a landsman in a sinking ship and a horseman on a bolting horse: either may be killed, but the horseman is an agent as well as a patient. "

What a difference having a goal and a purpose can make.

One technical detail I wonder about is that Ransom has the forethought to take along some ground weed for nourishment during his perilous trek. And yet there is no mention of him bringing along any water. Wouldn't he become thirsty before he became hungry? There is no mention of his thirst either. Maybe he simply had a water flask on one of those hrossa girdles all along?

Should it really be a surprise that Ransom meets a sorn when he arrives at the top of the trail? After all, the hrossa told him that the harandra is populated by them. I must admit though that there is some enjoyable shock value to this discovery.

so it goes...
Last edited by Kanakaberaka on April 30th, 2006, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Original Chapter 14 Comments

Postby Kanakaberaka » April 30th, 2006, 12:39 am

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Return to Out of the Silent Planet