This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 21 Study

An archived study of the first book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Chapter 21 Study

Postby Kanakaberaka » May 15th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Synopsis: Ransom tells Oyarsa the story of Maleldil's doings on Thulcandra and he is amazed beyond belief to hear the story. Now the three Thulcandrans must leave Malacandra and make it to planet Earth within 90 days or risk being made "unbody", nothing. Weston attempts a desperate maneuver by cutting across Earth's orbit closer to the Sun. After a near collision with the Moon, Ransom awakes to find himself back on Earth abandoned by Weston and Devine. Shortly after Ransom leaves the spacecraft, it disintegrates in a flash of light.
--------------------------------------------------------------
This chapter is the end of the story, for all practical purposes. I enjoyed the way Lewis handled the begining where Ransom explains the story of the incarnation of The Lord to Maleldil. We are spared the details of the Gospels. Instead we are given Oyarsa's reaction to Ransom's telling of the story -
"You have shown me more wonders than are known in the whole of heaven."
A much more satisfying response than a Suday school lecture would have been. And yet I wonder if some readers might have been baffled by Oyarsa's wonderment.
Next comes the ninety day race through the heavens for the safety of Earth ( but are they allowed 90 Thulcandrian days or Malacandrian days?). I have the feeling that Lewis included this detail in his story to add dramatic tenision to the ending. It works very well for an adventure story. In fact, if the three Thulcandrans were simply sent away and told not to come back to Malacandra ever again it would have be an anti-climax. This element of uncertainty glues us to our seats in true ripping yarn style. But it also has me wondering if Oyarsa employed an empty threat against Weston and Devine to ensure Ramsom's safety. Both bent hnau escape the spaceship, leaving Ransom to his fate. And yet the vessel does not unbody untill Ransom is well on his way down the road.
It also makes me wonder what other knowledge Oyarsa is holding back on. There are some hints from Oyarsa -
"It seems to me that this is the beginning of more comings and goings between the heavens and the worlds and between one world and another -though not such as the Thick One hoped. I am allowed to tell you this. The year we are now in -but heavenly years are not as yours -has long been prophesied as a year of stirrings and high changes and the siege of Thulcandra may be near its end. Great things are on foot. If Maleldil does not forbid me, I will not hold aloof from them."
Quite a good "teaser" for the next two books in the trilogy. It seems to me that C.S. Lewis was following all the "Scientifiction" conventions of the day when putting this allegory disguised as an adventure together. There is also the hint that we are living in the Last Days before the return of Our Saviour. I enjoyed details such as Devine's hysteria and attempt to introduce the "natives" to tobacco. Only the pfifltriggi show an interest in smoking.
And Ransom's view of their ascent from Malacandra put the whole journey into perspective with it's expanding view of the planet untill it was simply Mars.
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Original Chapter 21 Comments

Postby Kanakaberaka » May 15th, 2006, 2:13 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Return to Out of the Silent Planet