This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Now it can be told - A Kanakaberaka Bonus

An archived study of the first book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Now it can be told - A Kanakaberaka Bonus

Postby Kanakaberaka » May 15th, 2006, 4:03 pm

A KANAKABERAKA BONUS :
We interrupt this scholarly study to bring you a blatently personal posting.
------------------------------------
Q : Why have I chosen to post under the name "Kanakaberaka" in these forums?
A : As you all know by now, the name refers to the first pfifltrigg Ransom encounters on Malacandra. There are a few odd things in chapter 17 of "Out of the Silent Planet" that resonate in my imagination. Trivial small things, for the most part. Yet I find an odd familiarity with chapter 17. And it's more than the fact that the first three letters of Kanakaberaka's name are the same as my last name, Kania.

First, when Ransom offers his wrist-watch to Augray as a thank you gift, Augray reluctantly turns down the offer saying that the watch would be better appreciated by a pfifltrigg. Oddly enough I do not like to wear any jewelry myself, exept for wrist-watches, which I love. I suppose it's because they are functional rather than simply decorative.

Next, and more importantly there is Ransom's avoidance of the newly arrived guests on Meldilorn. I have those feelings of anxiety quite often when faced with many new guests anywhere. And my usual reaction is to retreat as Ransom did. And then he goes on to spend his time examining the stone carvings he found inland. Then he comes apon one of the sculptors himself and is obliged to converse with him.

And what a discription Lewis gives of the pfifltriggi. While the sorns are depicted as intellectual giants, and the hrossa as rustic poets, the pfifltriggi are portrayed as the Malcandrian equivilent of studious nerds. They are very involved in their crafts rather than with other hnau. Which is what I am like. It is interesting that Ransom becomes sociable with such a creature.

Ransom makes some interesting comparisons about the appearance of this pfifltrigg, who's name is Kanakaberaka:
"It was rather like a grasshopper, rather like one of Arthur Rackham's dwarfs, rather like a frog, and rather like a little old taxidermist whom Ransom knew in London. "
While I do not look like a grasshopper or frog and I am too tall to be mistaken for one of fairy tale artist Arthur Rackham's dwarfs, the mention of the taxidermist reminded me of my large collection of plastic animals.

Then there's Kanakaberaka's voice:
"I know, I know," said the creature in a quick, twittering, rather impatient voice.
Sounds uncomfortably like myself when I'm in a hurry to explain something important.
The pfifltriggi also share my belief that professionals such as artists should do the grunt work of getting their raw materials to appreciate what it is they are working with. I think that people in power should be aware firsthand of all the manual labor required to make their business possible.

Finaly the dominance of females in pfifltriggi society :
Does no one keep your people at their work, Kanakaberaka ?"

"Our females," said the pfifltrigg with a piping noise which was apparently his equivalent for a laugh.

In my own life it has been my daughter, wife, late mother-in-law and my own mother who have kept me busy. Mostly with errands required of me of course. But my father and brother have not asked all that much of me over the years. Or maybe I just don't mind doing "guy thing" projects with them. Yet somehow it is the women in my life who seem to call the tune.

so it goes...
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Comments about Kanakaberaka Bonus

Postby Kanakaberaka » May 15th, 2006, 4:19 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Return to Out of the Silent Planet