This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Ch 1b: pp 5-10

For the Medieval Dinosaur in all of us.

Ch 1b: pp 5-10

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 5th, 2007, 4:29 pm

Last edited by Stanley Anderson on March 5th, 2007, 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 5th, 2007, 4:38 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Rosie Cotton » February 8th, 2007, 5:19 am

... and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » February 8th, 2007, 8:48 am

If you read a language from right to left, do you speak it from right to left, as well? I think that you might. I suspect you might also view the world from right to left too.

Most of us read from left to right. That means that we notice things on the left first. So you tend to put significant things to the left, and things on the left might catch your attention first. Advertisers seem to think this is true and use it to attract our attention.

If I'm always looking for things on the left first, there is a good chance I miss things on the right, or place less importance on them.

Just from personal observation, I notice that Germans, from children to adults, usually speak in full sentences and paragraphs, expressing full thoughts, without a lot of the hemming, and "ums," "you knows," and "like", that many Americans use.

I have always suspected that had to do with the fact that they can remember to speak paragraph-long sentences and remember to put all the necessary verbs needed at the end of the sentence. You also need to listen to a complete German sentence, and it can be paragraph length, and you have to wait for all the verbs to come, before you can understand what the person is trying to say.

So I'm thinking, they have to remember a lot more than I do, when I speak American English. And that seems to be the case, because they are also very good at complicated Kopfrechnung [=doing math problems in their head].

Having worked as a photographer, I'm usually trying to find the point of view that others haven't seen before.

I wonder. How would you do that from spoken or written point of view? Is it even possible?
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby Sven » February 8th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Return to The Discarded Image