This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Ch 1c: pp 10-12 (end of chapter)

For the Medieval Dinosaur in all of us.

Ch 1c: pp 10-12 (end of chapter)

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 13th, 2007, 4:46 pm

Last edited by Stanley Anderson on March 5th, 2007, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » February 13th, 2007, 10:36 pm

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » February 13th, 2007, 11:51 pm

On page 10, I had an “aha!” moment. Lewis has a great gift of being able to put into a few words what would take me many fumbling, roundabout sentences. He says “At his most characteristic, medieval man was … an organiser, a codifier, a builder of systems.” In these few words, Lewis managed to distill my vague notions of medieval thought into something clear and solid. It now seems so obvious, I can't think why I couldn't quite put it into words before.

I haven’t studied the Middle Ages systematically or to any great (or even middling) degree; most of what I know of medieval thought and culture comes from reading about the history of science and philosophy, theology, and a few novels. So if someone had asked me to describe the medieval mind, I would have talked about the elaborate models of the pre-Copernican solar system, or the complex structure of feudalism. And it seems to me that there is much theology, Roman Catholic especially, that derives from the medieval penchant for classification and organization: the detailed catechism; the calendar of saints, each with their own area of patronage; the list of sins mortal and venal; and so on.

The day after reading chapter 1 of TDI (and saying aha!), I was reading The Name of the Rose. Umberto Eco has his medieval monk Adso say “The list could surely go on, and there is nothing more wonderful than a list, instrument of wondrous hypotyposis.” A couple of pages earlier, Adso had described the design of a monastery library, pointing out such things as the symbolism of the number of windows, being derived from multiplying the ten commandments by the four cardinal virtues. Having been instructed by Lewis, I was able to nod sagely and appreciate Eco’s depiction of the medieval mind, which is an integral part of the story.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 14th, 2007, 1:11 am

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 14th, 2007, 6:22 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » February 14th, 2007, 9:18 pm

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 14th, 2007, 10:00 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Return to The Discarded Image