This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Ch 2b: pp 14-16

For the Medieval Dinosaur in all of us.

Ch 2b: pp 14-16

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 19th, 2007, 6:24 pm

Last edited by Stanley Anderson on March 5th, 2007, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby ABC » February 24th, 2007, 12:55 am

Hi Stanley,

I've been lurking around the book study thread for a while, but hadn't worked up the courage to put in my two cents.

I also read the same thought about Copernicus and Galileo in a very lively book about the history of astronomy called "The Watershed" by Arthur Koestler (a very good book, by the way, and it reads like a novel).

I'm not sure I understood your last thought (or, rather, I'm sure I didn't) - but that's my fault, not yours. Another way of saying what I think you mean is that Lewis creates mythological images to express or account for psychological phenomena - a kind of pageant of walking Jungian archetypes. He thus creates a model of internal reality that works as long as the reader exercises a "willing suspension of disbelief" while, at the same time, realizing that the model really IS just a model. Is that it? If it is, I think it's very true, especially of "That Hideous Strength".

I see what you mean about Occam's razor. It would be fun to invent an alternative principle! By the way, I find Occam's razor the most unanswerable of all arguments against the existence of God - but that is a whole other discussion, I'm afraid.
ABC
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » February 28th, 2007, 8:55 am

cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby girlfreddy » February 28th, 2007, 3:18 pm

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 28th, 2007, 4:00 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 28th, 2007, 4:10 pm

(By the way, I'm glad for this discussion since it carries this thread out further. Without it, I probably should long ago have already gone onto the book's next section since this section has been sitting here for more than a week. But I've just been too busy to get to the next section. Of course my longish replies in other forum threads doesn't help either:-)

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Return to The Discarded Image