This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

j.r.r. tolken

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Re: j.r.r. tolkien's "leaf"

Postby magpie » July 14th, 2005, 2:01 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby c » July 14th, 2005, 6:27 pm

Upon reflection I see your point about Niggle already being saved. This does make sense.

"the Church does not believe that Purgatory is a second chance, but a final cleaning off for the saved before they enter Heaven. This was also C. S. Lewis's view of Purgatory."

Please post some information on Lewis' view of purgatory. This is dissapointing to hear. I do not believe this concept is very scriptural.

Thank you,

c
c
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 14th, 2005, 7:10 pm

Hello C,

I, on the other hand, believe that a believe in Purgatory is well rooted in Scripture, but that is another matter! To return to the matter at hand: C. S. Lewis wrote about purgatory in various places. For example:

Letter twenty of Letters To Malcolm - purgatory is called a process of purification
The Problem of Pain - "[Purgatory is] for souls already saved"
A Grief Observed - I can't help suspecting that the dead also feel the pains of separation from their loved ones (and this may be one of their purgatorial sufferings)
Letters to an American Lady "I hope that when the tooth of life is drawn and I am 'coming round', a voice will say. 'Rinse our mouth out with this.'"
Letters- "[Purgatory is] a process by which the work of redemption continues..." vs "a second chance in the strict sense"
Reflection on the Psalms: "Shall we, perhaps, in Purgatory, see our own faces and hear our own voices as they really were?"

(Examples taken from Janine Goffar's C. S. Lewis Index)

If you would like to know more about Lewis and Purgatory (eg: other points of view) you could do worse than use the search function on the forum; this issue has come up before.

Malcolm

Moved

Postby Sven » July 14th, 2005, 7:34 pm

I've moved this thread to the Tolkien forum. There will not be a general move of all the old Tolkien threads, but it has been requested to move this one as it is quite active.
Sven

Re: j.r.r. tolkien's "leaf" *NM*

Postby c » July 14th, 2005, 11:02 pm

*NM*
Last edited by c on July 18th, 2005, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
c
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » July 14th, 2005, 11:14 pm

c, Malcolm, rather than continue to hijack this thread, why not start a new thread on Purgatory over in the Christianity forum?
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby c » July 18th, 2005, 2:35 am

sorry
c
Wardrobian

Re: j.r.r. tolkien's "Leaf by Niggle"

Postby Adam Linton » July 18th, 2005, 9:12 pm

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Previous