This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

j.r.r. tolken

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

j.r.r. tolken

Postby nbmorelock » June 30th, 2005, 12:05 am

nbmorelock

Re: j.r.r. tolken

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » June 30th, 2005, 12:32 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Zan » June 30th, 2005, 3:15 am

Not to hijack this thread... and if I am feel free to scold me. But, does anyone know if Tolkien wrote any "Lewis style" novels dealing primarily with christianity or religion in general? I know a few have suggested at Lord of the Rings being a christian centered book, but, I am refering more to just Tolkien being Tolkien, talking about his beliefs.

If so, I would love to get my hands on one, to see how Tolkiens beliefs compared to Lewis's. If I remember correctly, Tolkien was a catholic?
Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 30th, 2005, 2:39 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Zan » June 30th, 2005, 3:20 pm

Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Postby Benj » July 1st, 2005, 3:02 am

There is a nice little section called "From a Letter by J.R.R. Tolkien to Milton Waldman, 1951" which follows the preface in my version of The Silmarillion. In it Tolkien talks about some of the ideas and themes which undergird his Lord of the Rings trilogy. It is much like a story-teller putting down his book and talking conversationally about the meaning of his own art and way of thinking.

A couple quotes: "I have always been seeking material, things of a certain tone and air, and not simple knowledge." "Myth and fairy-story must, as all art, reflect and contain in solution elements of moral and religious truth (or error) but not explicit, not in the known form or the primary 'real' world."
Benj
Wardrobian

Re: j.r.r. tolkien's "leaf"

Postby Boyd Britton » July 1st, 2005, 6:32 pm

Boyd Britton
Wardrobian

Postby Benj » July 1st, 2005, 11:55 pm

"Tree and Leaf (by Niggle)", "Farmer Giles", Tom Bombadil" -- they are all available in the volume entitled The Tolkien Reader.

Benj
Wardrobian

Postby carol » July 2nd, 2005, 12:09 am

I so love Leaf By Niggle. - must be time I re-read it.[/b]
carol
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » July 4th, 2005, 12:56 am

(Leaf by Niggle Spoilers)

"Leaf by Niggle" always reminds me of Lewis' "The Problem of Pain", since poor Niggle must undergo pain to change into a new person, his true self.

Then again it reminds me of "Screwtape Letters" in that the doctors are talking about him and diagnosing his soul.

Reminds me of what Lewis wrote in a letter to (someone?) that we get impatient with interruptions from our "real life". What we call our "real life" is the things that we think are important - the leaf painting. However the truth is that the interruption is also part of our REAL LIFE.

So yeah, many comparisons between Lewis and Tolkien's ideas and outlook.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » July 4th, 2005, 2:45 am

With the exception of "Leaf by Niggle," Tolkien very much stayed away from the allegorical. While he would have said that all his life's work was much informed by his Catholic Christian faith, his writings can't be described as "Christian literature," at least as this is almost always understood.

The near total lack of overt religious reference in TLotR has been well noted. However, this does not, by any means, mean that it is without profound spiritual significance.

The story at the beginning of The Silmarillion does have obvious connections with Genesis and the traditions connected (at least) with Milton's Paradise Lost. Most folks, however, would caution one who has not already read TLotR against trying to start one's Middle-earth reading with Silmarillion (unless, of course, you are one of those who finds the first nine chapters of 1 Chronicles among the more engaging parts of your Bible reading).
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » July 12th, 2005, 4:21 pm

And if anyone is interested, Farmer Giles was illustrated by Pauline Baynes, the artist who illustrated Narnia.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » July 13th, 2005, 8:46 pm

Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby c » July 13th, 2005, 11:19 pm

Tolkien and Lewis have long been favourites of mine and I have spent countless hours reading and discussing their work (I'm not saying I'm an expert, merely I greatly enjoy them).

As much as I love Leaf by Niggle, the Catholic doctrine of purgatory seems to be a major theme. Niggle unknowingly shows up in the afterlife and must spend his energy on serving others in a hospital in order to eventually move on to Heaven. This not only says that it takes deeds to earn your salvation, but that you will have a second chance in the afterlife to get to Heaven.

Lewis would have had issues with these concepts. He was well aware that only through faith in Christ do you attain salvation. Here and now, not later.

Still a great story, though.

c
c
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 14th, 2005, 6:18 am

Hello C,

Welcome to the Wardrobe!

I would disagree that Niggle 'unknowingly shows up in the afterlife'. On the contrary, Niggle knows that he must make the journey there and keeps putting it off. The only time that he is caught out in this respect is when the inspectors finally turn up on his doorstep.

Secondly, I would disagree that Niggle's hospital work proves that Tolkien is saying 'it takes deeds to earn your salvation... that you will have a second chance in the afterlife to get to Heaven.'
When Niggle enters the hospital, he is already 'saved'. The work he does there is more in the line of a purification of his energies - so long dissipated by delay and distraction. The question is not if he will take the train ride to the woodland but when.

Tolkien's allegory is, of course, consistent with the Catholic teaching about Purgatory which is so often misunderstood: the Church does not believe that Purgatory is a second chance, but a final cleaning off for the saved before they enter Heaven. This was also C. S. Lewis's view of Purgatory.

As you say, Leaf by Niggle is a great story!

MJM

Next

Return to Inklings & Influences