This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Why did Tolkien make this mistake?

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Re: Why did Tolkien make this mistake?

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2005, 7:49 am

That Tom Bombadil is Morgoth is an interesting idea but I think the heretic is wrong on this one! Of course, there is so much mystery around his character that one cannot rule out your suggestion, however, given Tom's character and friendly - if distant - relationship with the elves (who surely would be expected to know if the Dark Lord was living on their doorstep) I would say that such an interpretation is unlikely in the extreme.

There is an interesting article on Tom Bombadil at the

Postby Adam Linton » July 18th, 2005, 4:56 pm

Tom Bombadil as Morgoth?

Trying out all sorts of ideas is why we have this forum, but I'd say that this is impossible:

1) the utter difference in their characters -- Bombadil is a central example of non-possessiveness and non-domination -- and their behaviors -- i.e., Morgoth in S and Tom in TLotR);

2) difference in their destinies (i.e. Morgoth cast into the void before the action of TLotR and Tom present and active therein);

3) the references to Tom at the Council of Elrond alone would rule out such an identification; and,

4) the genesis of Tom's character from one of the Tolkien children's favorite toys, likewise, makes this most unlikely.

However, Erekose, I rather like your thinking that TLotR contains within it elements of its different characters' different perspectives. In such a sweeping work of literature this would be quite natural.

Since Tolkien is subcreating an entire reality, is is really so strange that his work would contain at least some seeming inconsistencies, paradoxes, mysteries?

Regards,

Adam L.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » July 18th, 2005, 6:09 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby surprisedbyjoy » September 1st, 2005, 9:41 pm

Want to bury your Beanie Babies? Visit:
http://beaniemortuary.tripod.com/

"Surprised by joy--impatient as the Wind."
-Wordsworth
surprisedbyjoy
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Inklings & Influences