This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

If you were Christopher Tolkien...

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

If you were Christopher Tolkien...

Postby A#minor » July 24th, 2005, 3:19 pm

I was just thinking about how cool it must have been for him as a child listening to his dad reading Hobbit chapters, and sending Father Christmas letters to the kids. And then when he was older he went to Inkling meetings and read each new LOTR chapter as it was written to the guys. I mean, to sit in the same room with the Lewis brothers, Tolkien, Charles Williams, and all those guys and listen to them talk and even join in their conversations! What greater bliss could there be?
You know they liked Christopher too. They loved for him to read "the new Hobbit" , as they called LOTR before it had a title, b/c J.R.R.Tolkien mumbled so badly.[/i]
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: If you were Christopher Tolkien...

Postby Adam Linton » July 24th, 2005, 11:00 pm

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby CorShasta » July 24th, 2005, 11:16 pm

CorShasta
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » July 25th, 2005, 12:33 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » July 25th, 2005, 2:29 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby CorShasta » July 25th, 2005, 9:36 pm

CorShasta
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » July 25th, 2005, 9:45 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » July 27th, 2005, 2:20 am

A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » July 27th, 2005, 5:00 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » July 27th, 2005, 11:37 pm

A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » April 6th, 2009, 9:42 pm

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby galion » April 7th, 2009, 7:40 am

I have to say that Tolkien was a major and hard-working scholar, with by the standards of his day a fairly repectable publication record. And what he may have lacked in quantity he more than made up for in quality. His "Beowulf" lecture had a major effect on the study of Old English literature and language, and other publications over a wide range (such as his paper on the Celtic god-name name "Nodens" for the archaeological excavations at Lydney, or his paper on "English and Welsh") were also very important in their fields. He was indeed as Lewis put it, "that great but dilatory man" - getting material out of him within a year of copy-date was like pulling dinosaur's teeth - but note that as well as "dilatory" he was "great".

As for "boring": from the age of about 27 his life was no more boring than the life of anybody else with a full-time job and a family of four children. Before that age his life was more "interesting" than most people would like. For example, his experience in the war had a major effect on his life (and his fiction!).
Last edited by galion on April 9th, 2009, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
galion
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 9th, 2009, 2:30 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby galion » April 9th, 2009, 7:42 am

As regards Christopher, I have only met him in person very briefly, but I have corresponded with him over a number of years. My impression is that he does tend to shun publicity, but is far from an unfriendly man, albeit somewhat reserved. He lives what I suppose some people might call a boring life, in a very pleasant house in moderately big grounds (though far from an estate, as some journalists have it) in deepest Provence, spending his time, when not working on the latest batch of Tolkieniana, in such rural pursuits as picking olives. I could live with that sort of boredom! He is less mobile now than he was a few years ago - not entirely surprising, since he's pushing 85.
galion
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 19th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Wow, galion! You actually know him?! Love your descriptive post about him. Now I have to go out and buy the latest Tolkien book he's edited for us. :)
A#minor
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences