This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Vote for your favorite LotR character

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

3%
3%
2%
2%
18%
5%
11%
3%
3%
6%
8%
13%
No votes
No votes
5%
2%
5%
6%
5%
No votes

Total votes : 62

Postby friendofaslan » July 13th, 2007, 1:17 am

Member of the 2456317 Club. "How will you know? . . . Odd things they say--even their looks--will let the secret out. Keep your eyes open. Bless me, what do they teach them at these schools?" - Professor Kirke in LWW
friendofaslan
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » July 13th, 2007, 3:06 am

Strange and poignant that out of 41 votes so far, no one has voted for Frodo. That says something about his character, I think.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby contra mundum » July 13th, 2007, 2:40 pm

“Doubt no longer, then, when you see death mocked and scorned by those who believe in Christ, that by Christ death was destroyed . . .”

Athanasius
contra mundum
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 13th, 2007, 2:58 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » July 14th, 2007, 5:55 pm

Now that we've been merged with the Inklings forum, I've edited the topic title of this thread to specify from which books we are choosing our favorite characters.

Yet another monumental inconvenience perpetrated by the unnecessary merging of our beloved Tolkien haven with that of lesser authors. :wink:
Ok, ok. I'll shut up about it now. :lipssealed: :tongue:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby rumzy » April 4th, 2008, 6:51 am

rumzy
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » April 16th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby ainulindale » June 9th, 2008, 9:20 pm

ainulindale

Location: 7 time zones west and 7 degrees south of mount athos

Postby Tuke » June 9th, 2008, 11:32 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Re: Vote for your favorite LotR character

Postby teomiriam » February 15th, 2009, 1:43 pm

I cannot believe nobody voted for Frodo, I love Frodo! And I voted for him :toothy-grin:
I love Frodo because he has so much courage to take the Ring and assume the responsibility of destroying it, I love it when he says "I will take the Ring, although I do not know the way." I love the way he sacrifices himself for the others, and that although a very unlikely hero, he is the hero of the story, with the help of Sam, Aragorn, Gandalf and many others of course :wink:
"Getting rid of dragons is not at all my line, but I'll do my best to think about it"" Bilbo Baggins
teomiriam
Wardrobian

Postby Michael » February 17th, 2009, 4:58 pm

I voted for Merry because I think his character is a good mix of what I like about all of the different Hobbits.
"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
Michael
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » February 26th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Its not even a contest for me. Tom Bombadil is the most fascinating character in my humble opinion. The fact that he and he alone is unable to be corrupted by the ring (save perhaps Goldberry-that I don't know) is reason enough I should think.

But then there is the whole issue of his history. Here is a man-if indeed one can call him that since his description resembles a more hobbit-like presence-whose lineage is never mentioned. Instead he is described as going back to before anything existed. I am not sure if he is mentioned in the Simarillion. I have only read parts of it. However, one would think that he would be the first reasoning, sentient being in middle earth.

And no one can deny his powers. He is almost amniscient and in some ways omnipresent. The authority he has over everything. And indeed it is more like authority than magic-for he commands things to act according to his will not by some unseen force of superphysicality.

Overall, I find him to be the most interesting and mysterious of characters. Almost Christ-like in some scenes, country bumpkin-ish, and yet so wise and knowledgeable. I love him.
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Michael » February 27th, 2009, 10:17 pm

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
Michael
Wardrobian

Postby galion » February 27th, 2009, 10:44 pm

Seeing what Jackson did to other characters, I'm glad Bombadil was spared his movie treatment. I don't know if I have a favourite character, but if I did Bombadil would be very high indeed on my list.
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Michael » March 3rd, 2009, 4:59 pm

Michael
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Inklings & Influences