This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Vote for your favorite LotR character

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.

Who is your favorite LOTR character?

Frodo
3%
Bilbo
3%
Pippin
2%
Merry
2%
Aragorn
18%
Boromir
5%
Sam
11%
Gimli
3%
Legolas
3%
Galadriel
6%
Gandalf
8%
Faramir
13%
King Theoden
No votes
Eomer
No votes
Eowyn
5%
Goldberry
2%
Tom Bombadil
5%
Smeagol/Gollum
6%
Treebeard
5%
Elrond
No votes

Total votes : 62

Vote for your favorite LotR character

Postby A#minor » 17 Sep 2005, 00:21

Vote for your favorite character and then tell why you like them.
I have omitted the villians, b/c nobody likes them.

I vote for Eowyn b/c she wanted to do something important with her life, and she didn't let anything stand in her way. She was brave and loyal and true.
Last edited by A#minor on 14 Jul 2007, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » 17 Sep 2005, 00:24

I voted for Galadriel because she is such a strong woman who struggles successfully against the overpowering temptation to take the ring when Frodo offers it to her.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » 17 Sep 2005, 00:34

I would probably cast a different vote depending on which day I am asked. This time, however, Faramir -- because of his noble, costly, yet un-self-centered integrity.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 17 Sep 2005, 03:32

Integrity - not something you hear alot about these days. Especially when it costs people something. Good choice, Adam Linton. And good explanation. That's what I love about Tolkien, those high values and beliefs in right and wrong are so present. The good guys always win in the end. Like Beowulf and high ideals.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby hana » 17 Sep 2005, 03:52

I dunno about nobody here liking the villains. I wouldn't past anything past someone who likes Fairy Hardcastle.
previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby hana » 17 Sep 2005, 03:55

I voted for Gollum because I like the way he hisses. Eggssessssssssssss, Precioussssssssssssssssss.
previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby cheeky reep » 17 Sep 2005, 04:05

gandalf -- such a mixture humour, compassion, and grumpiness that makes you really grok what being human is all about.
Do you mean to say that you three come from a round world (round like a ball) and you've never told me!
cheeky reep
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 17 Sep 2005, 04:08

cheeky reep wrote:gandalf -- such a mixture humour, compassion, and grumpiness that makes you really grok what being human is all about.

grok? :??: what's grok? Is that a Lewis Carrollism? Making up your own words and making them mean what you want them to, like Humpty Dumpty?
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » 17 Sep 2005, 04:14

Sam. He's good and true and he's a gardener. Faramir is a very close second, for the same reasons.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby cheeky reep » 17 Sep 2005, 05:03

A#minor wrote:grok? :??: what's grok? Is that a Lewis Carrollism? Making up your own words and making them mean what you want them to, like Humpty Dumpty?

whoops, slip of the tongue. to "grok" is to understand. not a word of my own invention -- borrowed from Heinlein from his book Stranger in a Strange Land.
Do you mean to say that you three come from a round world (round like a ball) and you've never told me!
cheeky reep
Wardrobian

Postby Lady Rebecca » 17 Sep 2005, 05:14

Faramir is my favorite, because he is valiant and courageous, a fearless fighter, and yet he also loves and respects history and music. He is kind and wise, and knows his limits. (As opposed to his brother, Boromir, who thought he was above all temptation and defeat.)

If you think about it, Faramir could have followed his dad's lead, and refused entrance to Aragorn - trying to keep the kingdom of Gondor for himself. But no - he knew who the true ruler was - and loved him!

Faramir was also wise in the way he led Eowyn out of her pity party and toward himself. He validated her feelings, and then simply told her that he loved her.

Sam is a very close second for me - I deeply admire his unbreakable loyalty, simplicity and selflessness.
"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 19 Sep 2005, 00:12

I can't believe Frodo has no votes! Can I vote again?
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » 01 Jan 2006, 22:31

A#minor wrote:I can't believe Frodo has no votes! Can I vote again?

You can't believe no one voted for Frodo?! But what of Arwen? She's not even a choice! How unfair is that?! *hmph*

Pippen was my favorite. I want to set him on my mantel and make him sing to me all day! LOL
Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

Postby A#minor » 02 Jan 2006, 02:49

*~Diamond in the Rough~* wrote: But what of Arwen? She's not even a choice! How unfair is that?! *hmph*

oops. Sorry. I can't remember every single character! :/
A#minor
Wardrobian

re: Vote for your favorite character

Postby nomad » 02 Jan 2006, 05:54

I voted for Gimli because he's funny. One of my favorite things in LOTR is the development of the friendship between him and Legolas. Gimli is sturdy and reliable, and he doesn't get carried away with ideas of glory and valour. He's quite content to be a supporting character.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Inklings & Influences