This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Vote for your favorite LotR character

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.

Who is your favorite LOTR character?

Frodo
3%
Bilbo
3%
Pippin
2%
Merry
2%
Aragorn
18%
Boromir
5%
Sam
11%
Gimli
3%
Legolas
3%
Galadriel
6%
Gandalf
8%
Faramir
13%
King Theoden
No votes
Eomer
No votes
Eowyn
5%
Goldberry
2%
Tom Bombadil
5%
Smeagol/Gollum
6%
Treebeard
5%
Elrond
No votes

Total votes : 62

re: Vote for your favorite character

Postby Sarah N. » 11 Jan 2006, 04:08

I voted for Eowyn (purely out of habit I think.) but upon further consideration, I think I would choose Faramir. If Luthien was an option I would definitely pick her, though.
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby russcannon » 11 Jan 2006, 12:11

Eowyn gets my vote because of the complexity of her character. All other characters in the story are very singular, but Eowyn is many-faceted.

She worships her king but disobeys him.
She seeks glory in battle and then forsakes it.
She is a warrior then a healer.
She fears a cage and then confines herself.
She loves, despairs, and loves again.

I do think Peter Jackson overdid her role in the battle at Minas Tirith. Given the present Zeitgeist, it was hardly to be feared that he would minimize her slaying of the Witch King, but it was to be expected that her role as a warrior would be rather enlarged. Consequently, it did not surprise when her final choice was pushed to the margin.

I love and adore Eowyn not just for the warrior that she was, but for the woman that she became.
Regards,
Russ

Plausible as these explanations may sound, they ignore economics, among other things.--Thomas Sowell
russcannon
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » 12 Jan 2006, 22:51

I voted for Faramir. I love how he learns of the Ring and still allows Frodo to go and finish his journey. Even though he is tempted by the ring, he over comes it and does the right thing. (Sounds rather like a fairytale, doesn't it ;) )

Yes, Faramir DOES have that sweet, soft, gentle and yet noble presence about him. And his eyes are full of story...

Russ~I think Aragorn's character tends to be multi-faceted as well... :pleased:
Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

Re: re: Vote for your favorite character

Postby russcannon » 13 Jan 2006, 12:12

*~Diamond in the Rough~* wrote:Russ~I think Aragorn's character tends to be multi-faceted as well... :pleased:

I think I chose poor words in hindsight because I meant not to refer to the complexities of personalities but to how each character's actions agreed or disagreed to those personalities and the degree of conflictedness that was consequently evident. There is also the dichotomy of movies vs. books to consider.

When considering the movies, Aragorn was much more conflicted than in the books and Eowyn much less so so that the very character of the story was changed. In the books, Aragorn was fixed on one mission--his destiny to challenge the dark lord. In the movie, he was all over the map and did not seem to embrace his destiny until the middle of the narrative. Eowyn, in the books, was a woman of deep contrasts and seeming like a little boat tossed on the tempests of the oceans. In the movie, her conflictedness is reduced to "a seeker of glory and a winner thereof".

The only character that seems to approach her degree of conflictedness is Frodo, but his conflict was of a different sort. "I know what must do, but I am afraid to do it."
Regards,
Russ

Plausible as these explanations may sound, they ignore economics, among other things.--Thomas Sowell
russcannon
Wardrobian

Postby russcannon » 13 Jan 2006, 12:24

I wonder whether most folks here are talking about the characters in the movies or in the books. (My own thoughts are based on those in the books.) There is such an enormous difference in the personalities of the various characters between the two stories as to sometimes make them seem to be someone other than who they were supposed to be. This was particular pronounced in Faramir, Treebeard, Aragorn, Elrond, Gandalf, Merry and Pippin (one can never think of the one without the other), Denethor, Eowyn, Arwen--just about every principal character. Some characters were so briefly portrayed that they could have hardly been much different, but all of the main characters were vastly changed and often ruined.
Regards,
Russ

russcannon
Wardrobian

Postby russcannon » 13 Jan 2006, 12:26

russcannon wrote:The only character that seems to approach her degree of conflictedness is Frodo, but his conflict was of a different sort. "I know what must do, but I am afraid to do it."

I must say that I identify with Frodo in this.

I also find it very curious that no one has voted for Frodo. I wonder why, because I have often thought that his was the most popular character to the masses. Remember the old "Frodo Lives" movement of the 1970s?
Regards,
Russ

russcannon
Wardrobian

Postby Gabriel Syme » 13 Jan 2006, 13:29

Well, no votes for Frodo IS surprising... no doubt.
As for the differences between characters in the book vs. the movie, I'm simply not interested in the latter. As I've already said, I didn't even see the third part.
To be fair, though, I'll say that I did like the Moria sequences and the scene at the Mirror of Galadriel in part one. Moria was pretty much like I imagined it while reading the book.
However, that does NOT in the least compensate for the alterations to the plot in part 2 AND for turning Faramir into somebody else.

My opinion, of course.

God bless you all,
Gabriel
In our school, on a wall, there is a big writing, saying «I care». It is the untranslatable motto of the best among young Americans. It means: «I AM interested in it; it is dear to me». That's the exact opposite of the fascist motto, «I don't care». (Lorenzo Milani, priest. Lettera ai giudici; 1965)
Gabriel Syme
Wardrobian

Postby russcannon » 13 Jan 2006, 14:15

Gabriel Syme wrote:My opinion, of course.

And a very worthwhile and agreeable one too.

I have come to appreciate the movies for what they are. I had great hopes in them--even after seeing Fellowship--but Two Towers brought me back down to earth. By the time of the release of Return of the King, my expectations had plummeted so far that a Popeye cartoon interpretation would have satisfied. Because of my low expectations of the third, I was greatly surprised and pleased. As long as we keep in mind that the screenplay is not Tolkien's work, the movies have their appeal. My love for Eowyn would not permit me to miss the final installment, but I did fear her conclusion. It was typical of our times, but the beauty of Miranda Otto in the role was captivating.

Then there is the Veggie Tales cartoon Lord of the Beans. I absolutely rolled with laughter when they tried to hitch a ride on the eagle.
Regards,
Russ

russcannon
Wardrobian

Postby Rho » 16 Jan 2006, 12:25

cheeky reep wrote:gandalf -- such a mixture humour, compassion, and grumpiness that makes you really grok what being human is all about.

Well, first let me say that Gandalf wasn't human, he was an Immortal from the race of Ainur, order of the Istari.

"There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilúvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought..." - First words of the Ainulindalë

That said, I went with book Aragorn and honestly, movie Aragorn as well. There are a million reasons why he is my favorite character, I don't think I could list just one.

Russ, I agree with you about Frodo. I think on the whole Frodo is probably the most popular character. Most of the members of my family that are Tolkien fans are big Frodo lovers and a few of them went through the whole "Frodo Lives" movement.

I admit, some of them still have "Frodo Lives!" shirts and bumper stickers. haha! How funny! :lol:
When a linear superposition of several stationary states of a harmonic oscillator correspond with a sinusoidal oscillation, it creates a harmonic potential. By changing the average energy, you are creating a quasi-classical state that exhibits the a|a >=a > a >, ^p ^x = hbar/2 properties. Now, if we added a 10E-12 W/m² sound intensity but give it a value of 80 dB, would we be able to hear it?
Rho
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » 16 Jan 2006, 17:26

I answered Sam. He has been my favourite character from the time I first read the books, and he was also my favourite in the movies. Sam is so much more than he seems at first glance. I love that he is an utterly faithful friend and that he consistently does what he needs to do despite the risk to himself. OK, there are a lot of characters who do this, but for some reason Sam seems to me the best of them all.

I like Pippin and Merry in the books, but I don't like how they are made into something of buffoons in the movies. I really disliked the treatment Faramir got in the movies... PJ tarnished his reputation terribly.
Thank you for the pix, A# Minor!
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » 16 Jan 2006, 19:43

Mornamoice wrote:I really disliked the treatment Faramir got in the movies... PJ tarnished his reputation terribly.

I much agree. If anything I'd say that "tarnished" may be too weak a word. PJ seems to have utterly misunderstood Faramir.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby jo » 23 Jan 2006, 16:56

Aragorn and Legolas, though NOT because they're good looking (although they are :)).
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

Wardrobe Wake
jo
Wardrobian

Postby Tsuriel » 08 Jul 2007, 05:31

I am also unhappy with the rougher movie version of Faramir. That he didn't even wan to know what "Isildur's Bane" WAS spoke very highly of his character. Why did PJ change that? Dunno.

It's no worse than the re-invention of Aragorn. This reluctant -almost fearful- son of prophecy is NOT the King who returned in the book!

However, I have voted, as always, for the truest hero of the book: Sam Gamgee. With no glimmer of reward or fame before him but a very good chance of death, he remained loyal, steadfast.
Tsuriel
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » 08 Jul 2007, 20:48

Tsuriel wrote: Why did PJ change that? Dunno.

I blame Freud. He introduced the popular idea that everyone has a mental complex about something or other. Culture today can barely accept someone who is well-balanced and good. Someone who does the right thing simply because it is the right thing is an unknown concept, especially in Hollywood.

Sam is an excellent choice, Tsuriel, and one of the few characters who was not mercilessly perverted by PJ.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby contra mundum » 12 Jul 2007, 19:16

I cast my vote for Aragorn. That was a tough call, though. In a different mood, I could have voted for Faramir, or for Sam, or maybe Frodo. But I just read the chapter on the Paths of the Dead, and Aragorn is simply awesome there, so how could I resist voting for him?

I agree that the defamation of Faramir in PJ's movies is a travesty. As is the reduction of Frodo to an always-swooning idiot. As is the flattening of Boromir's complexities (a heroic character whose tragic flaw is exposed, but who arouses sympathy).
“Doubt no longer, then, when you see death mocked and scorned by those who believe in Christ, that by Christ death was destroyed . . .”

Athanasius
contra mundum
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Inklings & Influences