This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A Joke by Tolkien

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

A Joke by Tolkien

Postby A#minor » September 21st, 2005, 2:29 am

I believe Tolkien wrote the following joke during his college days:

"A young man wished to purchase a birthday gift for a lady friend. After much meditation and consideration he decided upon a pair of gloves as being appropriate. As his sister had some shopping to do, he accompanied her to a ladies wearing apparel shop.
While he was selecting the gloves, his sister made a purchase of a pair of drawers for herself. In delivering the parcels that afternoon, by mistake the drawers were left at his sweetheart's door with a note as follows:

Dear Velma: This little token is to remind you that I haven't forgotten your birthday. I didn't choose it because I thought that you needed them, or because you haven't been in the habit of wearing them, or because we go out evenings. Had it not been for my sister I would have gotten long ones, but she says they are wearing the short ones - with one button.

They are a very delicate color, I know, but the lady clerk showed me a pair she had worn for three weeks, and they were scarcely soiled at all. How I wish I might put them on you for the first time! No doubt many other gentleman's hands will touch them before I get a chance to see you again, but I hope you will think of me every time you put them on.

I had the lady clerk try them on and they looked very neat on her. I did not know the exact size, but I should be capable of judging nearer than anyone else. When you put them on for the first time put a little powder in them and they will slip on easier. When you remove them, blow in the them before laying them away, as they will naturally be a little damp from wearing.
Hoping that you will accept them in the same spirit in which they are given and that you will wear them to the dance Friday night,
I remain,
Lovingly yours,
John
P.S. Note the number of times I will kiss the back of them in the coming year! John"
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » September 22nd, 2005, 3:50 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » September 22nd, 2005, 2:07 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 22nd, 2005, 2:22 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » September 22nd, 2005, 2:26 pm

Now I can't stop laughing! That is so disgusting. :rolleyes: But it's funny. :D

Here's another funny by Tolkien that I've found.

Tolkien and E.V.Gordon worked together to compile a Middle English edition of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight to be published for their university students. " It was a major contribution to the study of medieval literature - though Tolkien himself would often in later years entertain his audience at lectures by making disparaging references to some point of interpretation in the edition, as if he himself had nothing to do with it:
'Tolkien and Gordon were quite wrong, quite wrong when they said that! Can't imagine what they were thinking of!' he would say."
- J.R.R.Tolkien: A Biography by Humphrey Carpenter
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » September 22nd, 2005, 2:43 pm

A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » September 22nd, 2005, 3:56 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » September 23rd, 2005, 3:05 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » September 23rd, 2005, 9:38 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Funny!

Postby pedestrian73 » September 23rd, 2005, 11:07 am

pedestrian73
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 23rd, 2005, 12:46 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Ian » September 23rd, 2005, 12:54 pm

Ian

Re: Funny!

Postby A#minor » September 23rd, 2005, 2:52 pm

A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: Funny!

Postby pedestrian73 » September 23rd, 2005, 4:19 pm

pedestrian73
Wardrobian

re: A Joke by Tolkien

Postby A#minor » October 4th, 2005, 3:15 am

Here's some funny LOTR humor that I found. It's not by Tolkien or anything, but since it is humorous I thought this would be the best place to post it.

A#minor
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Inklings & Influences