This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Annoying ... sort of

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Annoying ... sort of

Postby Erekose » November 13th, 2005, 8:44 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

re: Annoying ... sort of

Postby A#minor » November 14th, 2005, 7:59 pm

I'm exactly the same way. One of those movie channels on satellite that plays the same movies over and over for about two days was showing Two Towers repeatedly a couple of months ago. I just kept watching it and watching it..... even though I have both the theatrical and extended DVDs and I've watched it a million times.
How can you not watch it? Impossible.
I'm the same way with Pirates of the Carribean though.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » November 14th, 2005, 9:07 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Re: re: Annoying ... sort of

Postby magpie » November 14th, 2005, 9:32 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » November 14th, 2005, 9:55 pm

It gets worse!

I've also been glancing through the 3 volumes. Not proper reading as such, just skimming at random.

And I suddeneley realised... What a TRAVESTY! How come Tolien made so many alterations?

Like, in the film Treebeard has to be tricked into going to isengard by the Hobbits, and yet when Tolkien decided to write the book he decided to skip out how conniving the 2 hobbits were and has Treebeard and the other Ents decide for themselves to go straight there!

And then in the earlier book he goes and introduces all manner of additional things, like Tom Bombadil! Where on earth does HE come from? Theres nary a mention of him in ANY of the films!

Did Tolkien actually SEE these films? When someone writes a book based on a film why oh why can't they keep to the plot line and words spoken???

(just incase since its getting late, and to avoid any misrepresentations.. this is me being cynical concerning the way the films were warped)
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » November 14th, 2005, 10:05 pm

Support group? Did someone say support group?

Tolkien Addicts Anonymous
Transcript:
Person: "Hi, my name is Your Name Here, and I'm a Tolkien-holic."
Group: "Welcome, Your Name Here!"
Person: "I'd just like to say that I have not watched the LOTR movies for 1 week!"
Group: "Good for you! That's the ticket! Keep it up!"
Person: "But I did read the Father Christmas Letters last night."
Group: "Awww.... too bad."
*someone whispers aside*: "Poor guy, he can't help it. It's a disease."
Therapist: "Well, you are making progress, Your Name Here. Now tell us about this past week - did you go shopping?"
Person: "Yes. Ummm.... well..... I tried! I really did! I'm sorry."
Therapist: "Why don't you tell the group what happened?"
Person: "Alright, I admit it. I..... I bought another copy of The Silmarillion. I couldn't help it! It was an edition that I don't have, and it was on sale! Oh, I'm hopeless."
Group: "Don't say that! Nobody's hopeless."
Therapist: "Now, Your Name Here, what do we say when we've regressed back into our Tolkien tendencies?"
Person *mumbles*: "I am not an elf, hobbit, ent, wizard, or dwarf. I live in the real world; not in Middle-earth. Tolkien is not a god; he is merely a man..."
*Someone interrupts*: "He was a genius! A genius, I tell you!"
Therapist: "Now, Joe! What have I said about interrupting? You need to let go of these disruptive behaviour patterns. Let's change the subject. Your Name Here, why don't you tell us how your weekend went?
Person: Well, I had my family over for dinner on my birthday.
Therapist: And how did that go?
Person: It was great! My family got me wonderful presents! I got a new LOTR chess set, and a holographic ring projector, and an elven sword, and an Arwen Evenstar Jewel Necklace...
Group *talking at once*: (1)Which chess set did you get? The one where Gandalf is king and all the pawns are Sam?
(2)I used to have a holographic ring projector but it broke.
(3)I love Arwen! She's my favorite character! I dressed up as her at my LOTR Premiere costume party.
(4)Did you get a LOTR cake though? I had one on my birthday with little Sam and Frodo figurines climbing up a red icing Mount Doom.
(5)Which blade did you get? I have Orcrist and Sting at home.
Therapist: Now hold on! You can't talk about that Tolkien stuff!
Group *ignoring Therapist*: What was your favorite part of the movies? I can't believe the way PJ changed Faramir into a bad guy. I was appalled when I found out that they left Tom Bombadil out.
Wasn't that scene in Lothlorien in the Extended Edition?.......
*Therapist gives up and walks out*
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » November 15th, 2005, 11:23 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Re: re: Annoying ... sort of

Postby Lady Rebecca » November 16th, 2005, 4:19 am

"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Postby lostentwife » November 18th, 2005, 5:00 pm

I saw or dreamed of such,-but let them go- They came like truth, and disappeared like dreams;
-Lord Bryon(from Childe Harold's Pilgrimage Canto lll)
lostentwife
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » November 18th, 2005, 5:42 pm

Concerned Mother: Will he be alright, doctor?

Doctor: Well, it's hard to tell. This illness is quite common really, but deadly.
Yes, it is a disease. I know the symptoms well. I've seen it many times in the poor, helpless victims of Tolkien-itis.
Yes, an inflamation of the brain due to excessive reading of the Tolkien books. We've seen quite an epidemic of it here since the movies were released.
We're still looking for a cure. Nothing seems to help. (sigh.) All we can do is try to ease their pain, and make comfortable their last moments of sanity.
Concerned Mother: Should I take away his LOTR action figures?

Doctor: NO! no. That could only aggravate the inflamation and could prove to be fatal. The best thing to do would be just to take him home and let him lie in peace these last few days that you have left with him.

Concerned Mother: What will happen when the disease has spread?

Doctor: He'll begin by constantly quoting passages from Tolkien's books. Then he'll start to talk in Elvish. That's the first sign that the end is near.
Then most likely he'll gather about him others of his kind.... and then....
Perhaps I had better just show you a picture of the typical result.
He will become this!

*Mother draws back in horror*: NOoooooo! Not a LOTR geek!

It's too late for me. Save yourself.
A#minor
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences