This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

"Tolkien Reader" Reading Group

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Re: re: "Tolkien Reader" Reading Group

Postby Theo » February 8th, 2006, 5:19 pm

Theo
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » February 8th, 2006, 5:24 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » February 8th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

re: "Tolkien Reader" Reading Group

Postby lostentwife » February 9th, 2006, 10:54 pm

I saw or dreamed of such,-but let them go- They came like truth, and disappeared like dreams;
-Lord Bryon(from Childe Harold's Pilgrimage Canto lll)
lostentwife
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » February 16th, 2006, 3:00 am

Well, I'm ready with thoughts on Farmer Giles of Ham. Maybe I'm a little early, but if you haven't read it all yet, then you can just read my comments later on.

Thoughts on Farmer Giles of Ham

On the Foreword: Were there actually places in Britain called the Little Kingdom, the Middle Kingdom, etc... or is this another example of Tolkien creating a mythology for his country? I think perhaps the latter.

I just love Tolkien's humor throughout the story. It's quaint but robust and wholesome somehow. Makes me want to pull out and dust off my guffaw laugh! :D

Whose illustrations are those? Not Tolkien's?!

Who is Wilkinson that it is dedicated to?

I must say that I feel sorry for the cow who gets mashed by the giant at the beginning. It seems to me she's the only one that really has it bad off. And what a snivelling little coward that dog is! I suppose Tolkien didn't have much respect for dogs. hum.

What does "dux, rex, tyrannus, et basileus mediterranearum partium subscribo" mean?

I like the bit where Tolkien says, "He [the parson] was a grammarian, and could doubtless see further into the future than others." Perhaps it's a little pat on the back for himself and other linguists.

Who are St. Hilarius and St. Felix, and what does their feast have to do with the dragon not coming back?

I love the humorous ending. That stupid giant; it's all his fault.

Do you think that there's some small connection between Farmer Giles and Tom Bombadil? Tolkien always has in his stories that simple, merry fellow who really is more than he seems....... well, maybe not.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » February 16th, 2006, 2:27 pm

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Monica » February 17th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » February 28th, 2006, 4:39 pm

Well, I really have no comments on the poetry, other than that I love them all. Tolkien definitely had a gift. My favorite is the "Errantry" poem.
A#minor
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Inklings & Influences