This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Just finished The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Just finished The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Postby Carrie » February 7th, 2006, 8:35 pm

Last night I finally finished The Return of the King. In other words, I finally finished the trilogy. (I had read The Hobbit several years ago.) I have to admit, I was a bit surprised at how it turned out. I had thought that the ring would be destroyed and that would be the end of it. Then I realized I still had a lot of pages left.
My biggest question, however, deals with differences between the movies and the books. I think I may be the only person in the world who has not seen the movies yet. I wanted to read the books, first. How do the movies compare? Is it worth going out and renting them, or should I just wait to stumble across them on TV or when other people are watching them?
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

re: Just finished The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Postby cheeky reep » February 7th, 2006, 8:54 pm

i'd give the movies a try, definitely.

for me, the movies helped me visualize middle-earth in a way that was more lush -- i've always been bad at imagining scenery. of course, many people have their own conceptualization of what middle-earth should look like, and you may not agree with the director's choice of locations etc.

one thing you'll have to do with these movies, as with all book adaptations, is to take the characterization with a grain of salt. in some cases, a handful of salt. again, just realize that this is one interpretation of the books, and it isn't necessarily one that you will agree with.
Do you mean to say that you three come from a round world (round like a ball) and you've never told me!
cheeky reep
Wardrobian

Re: re: Just finished The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Postby A#minor » February 7th, 2006, 9:41 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Glorfindel of Gondolin » February 7th, 2006, 11:27 pm

Then said Littleheart son of Bronweg: "Alas for Gondolin."
And no one in the Room of Logs spake or moved for a great while.
Pro published order! Poster of The Wardrobe's 40,000th post. That earns no merit, but I feel pretty cool about it anyway.
Glorfindel of Gondolin
Wardrobian

Postby jo » February 8th, 2006, 7:15 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » February 10th, 2006, 3:41 am

I also think that the films were wonderful, but the books are absolutely exquiste. :read:
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences