This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lord of the Rings readathon

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

re: Lord of the Rings readathon

Postby jo » March 5th, 2006, 5:01 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » March 5th, 2006, 9:58 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 6th, 2006, 1:44 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 6th, 2006, 1:51 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » March 6th, 2006, 6:32 pm

What is it with your echo, jo?
I don't think that Boromir deserves to be shot! :shocked: Of course, it is a nice way to get rid of him, and at the same time he's allowed to "pay his debt" and atone for his treachery by protecting the other two hobbits and giving his life for them.

However, I don't think I'd say that he deserves to die for what he did to Frodo. He was just weak and misled, like the troops that march with Aragorn to the Black Gates but grow fearful at the last minute and are sent on a lesser mission to the isle to fight a garrison of orcs there. It was something that was smaller and within their capabilities; certainly nothing to be ashamed of, but nothing to be proud of either.
So you see if Boromir had been offered something smaller within his capabilities..... well, no, his pride would have made him want the harder mission and the Ring still would have gained power over him.

I still say he just had a weak moment and he doesn't deserve to die! :cry:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Re: re: Lord of the Rings readathon

Postby Monica » March 6th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 6th, 2006, 8:09 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » March 6th, 2006, 8:30 pm

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » March 6th, 2006, 10:42 pm

A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » March 7th, 2006, 2:31 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » March 7th, 2006, 4:12 am

I feel like playing a dirge on the piano now. dum, dum, de-dum. :(
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Throw a flower on the grave. Oh, wait, Boromir has no grave. Well, ummm... throw a wreath on the waves of the river that bears him away. :cry:

I love the songs that Aragorn and Legolas sing after they send Boromir drifting down the river. They are so poignant, and not overly depressing. There's no overwhelming outpouring of weeping grief; just a quiet remembrance and sadness for a lost comrade. (sigh.) Lovely.
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 7th, 2006, 12:45 pm

I read them again yesterday and I was impressed that they could make up songs like that on the spot :). Unless they had each prepared a song in advance for ALL the members of the company in case of their falling! (being slightly tongue in cheek there ;)). Though poor Gandalf didn't get one. I guess they were out of breath with running away from Moria..

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 7th, 2006, 3:05 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 7th, 2006, 3:17 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Mornamoice » March 7th, 2006, 4:34 pm

Thank you for the pix, A# Minor!
Mornamoice
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Inklings & Influences