This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

LOTR quote game

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Re: LOTR quote game

Postby jo » December 8th, 2009, 5:53 pm

*opens book at random*

The path was not put there for the purposes of Sam...
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » December 14th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Last edited by Dan65802 on December 14th, 2009, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » December 14th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Sorry. Double Post.
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 15th, 2009, 1:10 am

"Justin Ralphael Ruben Tolkien "
:brood: I'm sorry, what??? Don't you mean John Ronald Reuel Tolkien? No joking matter, my friend.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » December 15th, 2009, 3:22 pm

Heh-heh. Look, if you don't know the quote A#, just admit it. Don't lead us off on rabbit trails about the true meaning of the initials J.R.R., which obviously have been lost to antiquity. :toothy-grin:

- Dan -
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby jo » December 16th, 2009, 5:52 pm

i believe that that might be ... oh hell, who is it? I think it's about discussing going through Moria, and SOMEBODY - Gandalf? - speaks those words. Then someone else - Aragorn? - says something like, he too passed through and returned but has no wish to again, and a generic hobbit says 'and I don't want to even once'. Am I right?
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » December 16th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Although not the most specific citation in the world (and I'm pretty sure Pippin wouldn't like to be called generic), you are correct. It's Book II, chapter 4, "A Journey in the Dark".

Give us a quote, love.

- Dan -
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby jo » December 16th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Don't get me started on generic young hobbits ;)

Lesse, this is from memory as my book is upstairs and I am too lazy to go and get it:

"Yes of course. Who did you think it was?"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby jo » December 28th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Boy I sure know how to kill a thread .. anyone? :)

jo
Wardrobian

Postby galion » December 28th, 2009, 10:29 pm

Oh well ... this is Meriadoc Brandybuck towards the end of "A short cut to mushrooms" being taken initially for a Black Rider.

Now give me a couple of minutes to think of a question ....
galion
Wardrobian

Postby galion » December 28th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Right. Here we go:

"Nay! I will not speak of that journey."
galion
Wardrobian

Postby jo » December 28th, 2009, 11:09 pm

Thank you! and erm, | do not know off the top of my head though it sounds like Gandalf..

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » December 29th, 2009, 3:40 am

It's Gimli in ROTK, in the chapter 'The Last Debate" speaking of the journey through the Paths of the Dead.

New quote:

The choice is yours: to go or wait.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby galion » December 29th, 2009, 8:10 am

Well spotted, Leslie!
galion
Wardrobian

Postby jo » December 30th, 2009, 12:16 am

Is that wasshisface to Frodo in the Old Forest? the leader of the elves? (Gildor?)

jo
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Inklings & Influences