This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Tolkien Encyclopedia

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Tolkien Encyclopedia

Postby cheeky reep » April 4th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Do you mean to say that you three come from a round world (round like a ball) and you've never told me!
cheeky reep
Wardrobian

re: Tolkien Encyclopedia

Postby A#minor » April 5th, 2006, 3:54 am

I usually use the if I have a question about Middle-earth, and my trusty Tolkien biography by Carpenter for any question about the professor's life.

Does that book just have entries about Tolkien's life, or about everything that he wrote as well? Too bad that there aren't any summaries or reviews on that site.

Still....if I had an extra $175, I might get a copy. Unfortunately, I don't think that will ever happen in my lifetime. heh.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby cheeky reep » April 5th, 2006, 2:56 pm

i'm still trying to find out more details about it. i know it's meant to be a source for tolkien scholars -- there are bibliographies and stuff -- sorta like a compendium of what's been written not only by tolkien but about his works.
Do you mean to say that you three come from a round world (round like a ball) and you've never told me!
cheeky reep
Wardrobian

Postby cheeky reep » April 5th, 2006, 3:18 pm

cheeky reep
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » April 5th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Hmmmm...... I'm already plotting how to get one. Would it be too much to ask for as a birthday gift? Christmas, maybe? ;)
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Glorfindel of Gondolin » April 12th, 2006, 12:57 am

Wow, I wish I had $175 to spend on this... or that my parents would let me spend $175 in the first place.This looks great, especially because it apparantly disregards the movies!
Then said Littleheart son of Bronweg: "Alas for Gondolin."
And no one in the Room of Logs spake or moved for a great while.
Pro published order! Poster of The Wardrobe's 40,000th post. That earns no merit, but I feel pretty cool about it anyway.
Glorfindel of Gondolin
Wardrobian

Postby Dale Nelson » March 4th, 2007, 4:32 pm

An ongoing and fairly detailed review of The J. R. R. Tolkien Encyclopedia appears here:

http://users.bestweb.net/~jfgm/EncyclopediaDiary/
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences