This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Tove Jansson's illustrations for The Hobbit

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Tove Jansson's illustrations for The Hobbit

Postby Theo » April 5th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Now, this is cool. I just found a site with all of Tove Jansson's illustrations for the 1962 Swedish edition of The Hobbit.

Check them out, anyone. I'm curious what the rest of you think of them.

This might not mean much to most of you, so let me give you a little bit of background.

First, this was the edition of The Hobbit I read first, when I was about 7. I hadn't seen most of those pictures again for over 20 years. It's a huge nostalgia kick.

Second, Tove Jansson was a highly celebrated Swedish/Finnish author and illustrator of children's fantasy, most famous for the Moomintroll books (which are terrific, and have incidentally been very well translated into English). It's fascinating to see Middle-Earth illustrated in the style of the Moomins - especially if you love both.
Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

re: Tove Jansson's illustrations for The Hobbit

Postby A#minor » April 6th, 2006, 2:27 am

Gollum is so huge! Weird. :/
And the eagles are really scrawny. I doubt those eagles could lift a hobbit, much less a fat dwarf or a tubby wizard! :lol:
Those are certainly interesting. I like the style.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » April 6th, 2006, 7:56 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » April 7th, 2006, 9:57 pm

I agree with the Nomad. The style is so reminiscient of the old Norse carvings of dwarves and such from their mythology that in fact I think the Professor would tave been quite pleased. These capture the spirit of the narrative quite well, even if the scale of Gollum is incorrect. One does not even learn about that sort of thing conclusively until LotR, and as he sometimes preyed upon the goblins themselves on occasion it might be safe (however erroneous) to assume him larger than they, had one not yet read the later work. This is a '62 edition, though, and I think Tolkien may well have had a chance to see these illustrations before he sailed into the West (1972, wasn't it?).

Oh, look! The are out!
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences