This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

...all beautiful and some obviously magical...

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

re: ...all beautiful and some obviously magical...

Postby Sarah N. » August 30th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Re: re: ...all beautiful and some obviously magical...

Postby A#minor » August 31st, 2006, 8:14 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 1st, 2006, 4:24 pm

We read the chapter Strider aloud last night. The line in the poem about Aragorn, "All that is gold does not glitter" is a sort of reversal of the old proverb "All that glitters is not gold" (which is a variation of a line from Shakespeare and probably even earlier).

Anyway, for this chapter "game", since the other lines in that poem state similar sentiments, how about variations on that line that might be used in other settings.

For example:

All that is edible is not tasty.

All that is healthy is not pleasing.

All that is on TV is not "reality".

All that is in Bedrock is not prehistoric.

Well, any others? (serious or silly)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » September 1st, 2006, 6:46 pm

All that is sung is not melodic.

All that is said is not spoken.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 1st, 2006, 7:48 pm

Here are some for the web:

All that is humourous is not smilied.

All that is important is not bolded.

All that is uppercased is not shouted.

All that is posted is not copyrighted.

All that is needed is not online.

and one for a specific sub genre of these forums:

All that is disgusting is not Vegemite.

and one aimed back at myself:-)

All that is Peter Jackson is not drek.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » September 1st, 2006, 9:01 pm

:lol: Ha! Those are good.
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 8th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » September 8th, 2006, 4:22 pm

A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » September 8th, 2006, 9:27 pm

I frequently give in to the temptation to engage in pity parties, and to draw others in, just so they can feel sorry for me, tell me it will get better, etc. After, and even during, this sort of thing, I am shocked by my self-centeredness, and my desire for human consolations. I still need to learn the prayer of St. Francis: "Grant that I may never seek so much to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand." I have a feeling this will be a life-long struggle, but at least now I know it is there, because I was comparatively unconcious of my self-centeredness before the beginning of this summer.
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby VixenMage » September 12th, 2006, 3:10 am

"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 20th, 2006, 3:40 pm

We read Flight to the Ford aloud, and I alway love the discovery of the three stone trolls that Merry and Pippin mistake for living dangerous trolls even though it is daylight and one has a birds nest on him.

For this chapter's post theme, I suggest relating a situation or event where you mistook or misunderstood something that caused you to do or say something that in retrospect looked pretty funny or weird.

My prime example for the moment is something I posted about in the Wardrobe a while back where I had written a letter to the weekly publication "Science News" in reply to an article. After a few weeks I forgot about even having written the letter. Then, a month or so later, I was reading the issue that had just come in the mail that day and when I got to the letters section, I began reading a letter about an article from a previous issue. The letter struck me as having remarkably similar ideas to what I had thought about when I originally read the article. I remember thinking "boy, this person thinks a lot like I do". And when I got to the end of the letter, I even remember thinking "...and look -- he even has a similar name to my...OH! it IS me!" I had completely forgotten that I had written the letter and it was a very strange experience to read my own writing from the "outside" as it were.

As another example, just the other night I was waiting in a small shopping center's parking lot for another person who would be pulling into the lot with their car from quite a distance away. As they turned into the driveway of the parking lot, I waved at them to let them know I was there. But I suddenly noticed that nearby and approaching in my direction was a rather attractive woman riding a bicycle. Even as I waved I thought "Oh, no -- she'll think I'm waving at her". And sure enough, with a big smile she waved back and came riding up to me and said "Are you from Martini Blues?" (it's a bar/food/music place somewhere in the shopping center). She sounded a bit tipsy and I suspect she was expecting to meet someone there. Fortunately about that time the person I was waiting for drove up and I was able to say, "uh, no, I was waving to this person here -- sorry". Well, it was clear that we were both pretty embarrassed, and she quickly went on, but it was a bit awkward to say the least.

Any others?

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby cheeky reep » September 21st, 2006, 5:43 pm

Do you mean to say that you three come from a round world (round like a ball) and you've never told me!
cheeky reep
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 12th, 2006, 3:18 pm

After some recent delays, we finally finished reading aloud the chapter Many Meetings last night. Ahhh, what I wouldn't give to be in the fireplace room that Frodo went to after the banquet and found Bilbo -- I could sit there for a good long time listening to the elves' songs and even sleeping and waking up to the music.

Can I suggest posting lyrics or poems (not too lengthy, even though Bilbo's song in the chapter was not short:-) whose tone and atmosphere might fit into that peaceful setting, even if the lyrics or words are totally unrelated to Middle Earth? They can be standard lyrics or even ones you've written yourself that would blend into that room nicely.

I could probably post lots of different things, but off the top of my head (since TSBJ mentioned Cat Stevens in another thread recently), I think I'll pick his "Katmandu" (which I love playing the beautiful background part on guitar):
---------------------------------
Katmandu
by Cat Stevens

I sit beside the dark
Beneath the mire
Cold grey dusty day
The morning lake
Drinks up the sky

Katmandu I'll soon be seeing you
And your strange bewildering time
Will hold me down

Chop me some broken wood
We'll start a fire
White warm light the dawn
And help me see
Old satan's tree

Katmandu I'll soon be touching you
Will hold me down

Pass me my hat and coat
Lock up the cabin
Slow night treat me right
until I go
Be nice to know

Katmandu I'll soon be seeing you
Will keep me home
---------------------------
--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » October 15th, 2006, 7:15 am

The Long Road Home, by The Lost Boys, is very relaxing. I don't have the lyrics, but Carly may be able to help.

Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » October 15th, 2006, 8:20 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Inklings & Influences