This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A humourous fortune lembas

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

A humourous fortune lembas

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 15th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Prompted by the "A humourous fortune cookie" thread in the Caffe forum, I thought it might be interesting to have a similar thread here except it is the elves' lembas that have fortunes inside them and the fortunes would be directed at the various characters in LotR. Here are a couple examples:

When Boromir eats his lembas, he discovers a fortune that reads "You will take many of your oponents' points to heart"

Frodo, not being familiar with Spinal Tap's famous line "Ours go to eleven", wonders at the mysterious fortune in his lembas that reads "yours go to nine" and mistakenly thinks it refers to the members of the fellowship of the ring.

Well, any others?

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

re: A humourous fortune lembas

Postby A#minor » August 16th, 2006, 12:48 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

re: A humourous fortune lembas

Postby cheeky reep » August 17th, 2006, 7:38 pm

:idea: what a great idea!

treebeard: you shall be hasty tomorrow.
denethor: beware of crystal balls.
sam: you shall be blessed with many children.
aragorn: not all gold glitters, but an occasional polish is good.
Do you mean to say that you three come from a round world (round like a ball) and you've never told me!
cheeky reep
Wardrobian

Re: re: A humourous fortune lembas

Postby A#minor » August 17th, 2006, 9:58 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » December 1st, 2006, 2:59 am

For the Mayor of Lake-Town:
Tomorrow is not a good day for an airshow.

For Miss R. Cotton: Fair blossoms from far-off lands bloom for you around the bend.

For Lotho Pimple: Haste not after another's wealth, lest you find yourself in a Bad End.

For Tom, Bert, and Bill---
Bert's says: Early to bed and late to rise makes you healthy, wealthy, and depetrified. Look it up.
Tom's says: Poor Richard tastes better with mustard on his legs.
Bill's says, um...
I don't think we'll ever know what Bill's said. Probably something like Don't eat the paper.
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 1st, 2006, 3:08 am

:grin: Those are good.

Witch-King of Angmar's fortune: If you're cocky, there's something you don't know. Pride cometh before the fall. Your lucky number is 9.

Frodo's fortune: Showing mercy to your enemies may come back to bite you.
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » December 1st, 2006, 10:23 pm

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 1st, 2006, 11:22 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby cheeky reep » December 5th, 2006, 5:58 pm

Do you mean to say that you three come from a round world (round like a ball) and you've never told me!
cheeky reep
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 5th, 2006, 9:45 pm

A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » December 7th, 2006, 3:25 am

False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » December 7th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 8th, 2006, 3:16 am

A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » December 8th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Another for Tom Bombadil: Knock on wood for your neighbor's luck.
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby contra mundum » December 19th, 2006, 9:51 pm

Hmm . . . all of you are really good at this game.

For Gollum: "Beware of biting off more than you can chew, preciousss. It will lead to your downfall."
“Doubt no longer, then, when you see death mocked and scorned by those who believe in Christ, that by Christ death was destroyed . . .”

Athanasius
contra mundum
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Inklings & Influences