This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Tolkien splurge

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Tolkien splurge

Postby Adam Linton » January 1st, 2007, 1:47 am

The long-awaited two volume J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide (Chronology; Reader's Guide), by Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond, recently released to much acclaim, comes to a grand total of over two thousand pages. Along with their The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, published last year, this is expected to be a standard resource in Tolkien studies.

It's not exactly cheap. But Amazon had it for 30% savings; I was planning to get it...and it's on the way to me. This and the third volume of Lewis letters will put me on a short leash in terms of book purchases for a while.

Anyone else considering it?
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 1st, 2007, 3:44 am

No, but I'm wishing I could get it. Sounds like a good one. Maybe you could post a few of your favorite bits for us when you read it?
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » January 5th, 2007, 12:48 am

It arrived.

Just wonderful.

Beautifully produced - from slipcase, covers, endpapers, binding, to paper quality, etc.

The scholarship is extensive, phenomenal. A volume of highly detailed chronology from the beginning of Tolkien's life on; a second volume, "Reader's Guide," an encyclopedia of all things Tolkienian. A landmark work, to be sure; no question in my mind that it will be a standard, indespensible resource.

Scull and Hammond are highly to be commended, as well as Houghton Mifflin.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » January 5th, 2007, 1:23 am

Can you imagine your job being to read and research Tolkien? What a life!
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences