This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Happy Birthday, Tolkien!

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Happy Birthday, Tolkien!

Postby A#minor » January 3rd, 2007, 2:26 am

Happy 115th Birthday, J.R.R. Tolkien!

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
Born: 1892-01-03, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Died: 1973-09-02, Bournemouth, England

Birthday Toast 2007
January 3rd 2007 the toast will be "The Professor"! Sign up online to show you're taking part in this global celebration as fans around the world raise a glass and toast J.R.R. Tolkien's Birthday at

Perhaps in honor of the Professor, we could each say something about how his books have changed our lives or inspired us.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 3rd, 2007, 2:35 am

I'd say that Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and the rest of his works opened wider for me the door to philology, in it's truest sense meaning "the love of words." Tolkien has such a way of putting words together so that they sound pleasing, or frightening, or whatever he pleases. Even if you didn't know what a particular word meant, you could guess simply by it's harsh or soft sound. This is especially true in his alliterative poetry. Reading his works aloud is absolutely delicious!
Since reading Tolkien's works, I've come to love words simply for themselves. Thanks, Professor!
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby The Bigsleep J » January 3rd, 2007, 6:34 am

Happy Birthday, JRR! Thanks for creating Middle-Earth!

And did someone say Bloemfontein?

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » January 3rd, 2007, 7:24 pm

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 3rd, 2007, 10:23 pm

I'll be in the car on the way back from church at 9pm tonight, so I'll toast now.

The Professor! Image
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » January 4th, 2007, 3:11 am

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences