This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lord of the Rings: on stage!

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Lord of the Rings: on stage!

Postby Ste-vo » May 9th, 2007, 3:39 pm

I'm surprised no ones mentioned this yet, Lord of the Rings comes to the London stage today. What do you think? Do you think it can be done? Are you going to come and see it (If you're around London when it's on of course)

I'm going to see it myself so I'll give you my thoughts later on.

"Further up and Further in!"
Ste-vo
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » May 9th, 2007, 4:21 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Ste-vo » May 10th, 2007, 4:35 pm

I know what you mean, they had the same problem recently condensing His Dark Materials into a two part six hour play, cutting much of it so that they could have the main story points and focus on the characters I guess they'll be doing the same with LotR.

I think I'm just morbidly curious as to how they'll manage it, also I think it could be quite a spectacle to behold.
Ste-vo
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 10th, 2007, 6:33 pm

Is it a musical? The one thing the film version of Return of the King was missing was the orcs singing "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way". (old Rankin/Bass reference).

- Dan -

Postby Ste-vo » May 21st, 2007, 3:52 pm

Ste-vo
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 21st, 2007, 4:44 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2007, 4:54 pm

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 21st, 2007, 6:12 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby carol » June 22nd, 2007, 10:39 pm

I was working at an orchestra concert for families last year, (dressed as a Bad Jelly The Witch character and interracting with kids as well as helping act it out) and while backstage we chatted to the orchestra a bit - they were fairly relaxed while talking to us in our costumes. I coined the term Orcs for them - they HAD to be Orcs in the Orchestra, surely? or maybe Orchs?
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » July 3rd, 2007, 5:15 pm

The world premiere of the musical opened in Toronto last year, and was a bit of a flop. The London show is the same production, perhaps tweaked.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 3rd, 2007, 6:09 pm

Postby A#minor » July 4th, 2007, 12:36 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences