This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

George MacDonald's best fiction and best non-fiction

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Lilith recommended

Postby ainulindale » June 9th, 2008, 9:09 pm

ainulindale

Location: 7 time zones west and 7 degrees south of mount athos

Postby blindlemonpie » June 21st, 2008, 4:46 am

I found The Light Princess at my local library today, and I'm half-way through it.
:read: It was in the children's section, and I think it might be a bit germy as I seem to have a cold coming on.
blindlemonpie
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » June 23rd, 2008, 4:54 pm

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » July 30th, 2008, 1:24 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » July 30th, 2008, 9:26 am

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » August 5th, 2008, 12:58 am

Oh, sorry, I think it was The Broken Sword - singular. My collection doesnt have nanny's dream or diamond's dream. And I'm trying to remember what cross purposes was... help?

The main reason I didn't care for the castle was that it was a much more direct alegory than the rest. Which I found made it sorta flat.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » August 5th, 2008, 9:28 am

David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » August 9th, 2008, 1:38 am

nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » August 9th, 2008, 10:20 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Re: George MacDonald's best fiction and best non-fiction

Postby rumzy » August 12th, 2008, 8:32 pm

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
rumzy
Wardrobian

Re: George MacDonald's best fiction and best non-fiction

Postby David Jack » August 26th, 2008, 12:49 pm

David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Tumnus's Books » August 31st, 2008, 1:19 am

I am currently reading Macdonald's Phantastes at the moment, and you can see some of the influence he provided for Lewis in sentence structure and turns of phrases...
Tumnus's Books
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » September 3rd, 2008, 11:04 am

absolutely. the same is true of many, if not most of macdonald's fantasy novels. in particular, i remember 'the wise woman' and 'lilith' having aspects that would be borrowed or adapted by lewis.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » October 16th, 2008, 2:45 pm

having now finished 'lilith' i can confidently add it to the list of macdonald's best books. it's a harder read than phantastes, but a worthy companion to it and comparable in terms of spiritual symbolism and 'fantastic imagination' (to borrow a term from the man himself.)
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby peterlloyd » November 17th, 2008, 5:06 am

For those searching for Macdonald's books, try google book search - quickest way is advanced search for FULL VIEW and author GEORGE MACDONALD - there's quite a few available - downloadable and printable - for free!
peterlloyd

PreviousNext

Return to Inklings & Influences