This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Phantastes by George MacDonald

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Re: Phantastes by George MacDonald

Postby wondawomen » July 17th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Because CSL was so moved by Phantastes, I recently ordered it and began to read. At first it was enchanting; then so difficult to read at a spead that I am used to! But I continue to read it little by little. I am only on chapter 13. Now I think of it as sweets that you must patiently eat slowly. But the main character, Anodos, is making me so angry. He goes where he is told not to and gets a very naughty shadow. One post is saying the shadow is Satan. Maybe so! Then Anodos breaks the little fairy's globe. I am waiting for him to learn a lesson. The book may be changing my life a little because I am making a fairy garden in my back garden!
We love, because He first loved us.1John4:19 NASB
wondawomen
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » July 18th, 2009, 4:33 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby wondawomen » July 20th, 2009, 8:22 pm

Today's story is the princess in the mirror. I saw this on a twilight zone or something similar. Then off he went touching the marble statue and going into the queen's room even though it was posted not to. Very interesting.
wondawomen
Wardrobian

Postby wondawomen » August 1st, 2009, 1:17 pm

O.K. I finished Phantastes and now I am reading Lilith. My husband tried to read it and asked if they had LSD back then. I have decided to make this a George MacDonald summer with breaks for non fantasy. I am saying things to people that make sense to me but to no one else. I know they are thinkin, "She has gone over the edge and is talking about fairies like they are real." However, the end of Phantastes gave a wonderful picture of death. I now think of the earth as a nourishing, warm, place. The main character did learn a life lesson after all.
wondawomen
Wardrobian

Postby Kanakaberaka » August 1st, 2009, 2:14 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby deadwhitemale » October 10th, 2009, 2:11 pm

I read parts of Phantastes and Lilith years ago. I think I first read the chapter of Phantastes called "The Tale of Cosmo" in an anthology of short works of fantasy in 1989. In that book it was re-titled "The Woman In the Mirror." When I re-read parts of Phantastes online much more recently that was the part I looked for first, for it had left a strong impression on me. The other part of Phantastes I can recall fairly well is the part where the narrator discovers and kills a werewolf-like monster, and is himself killed in the act by the creature's worshippers, and in the next chapter he describes his own death and burial. This also made a strong impression.

Lilith I believe I first tried to read about 1989 or 1990. I think I just skipped around in it, but, as with Phantastes, certain parts and pieces of it stand out. Certain lines have stuck with me as well, such as "I could not sleep without my dead," and "Cut me off this hand, so that I may sleep," or something like that.

Unfortunately, my memory does not work as well as it used to. This is not the fault of the books. I should really re-read them both in a more disciplined, systematic way, from beginning to end.

DWM
"It is when we try to grapple with another man's intimate need that we perceive how incomprehensible, wavering, and misty are the beings that share with us the sight of the stars and the warmth of the sun." -- Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim(1899?)
deadwhitemale
Wardrobian

Postby Kanakaberaka » October 11th, 2009, 2:37 am

I read MacDonald's Lilith a number of years ago. I am not certain about whether of not the title character is supposed to be the same Lilith from Hebrew mythology or someone else. Does anyone here know more about her?
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby deadwhitemale » October 12th, 2009, 4:57 am

Well, yes, I think she pretty much is -- but somewhat, subtly "re-imagined," as they like to say now. However, do not be deceived: she is by no means the heroine of the piece.

DWM
"It is when we try to grapple with another man's intimate need that we perceive how incomprehensible, wavering, and misty are the beings that share with us the sight of the stars and the warmth of the sun." -- Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim(1899?)
deadwhitemale
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Inklings & Influences