This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

For those that have read Chesterton's Orthodoxy....

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Re: For those that have read Chesterton's Orthodoxy....

Postby Zattara08 » December 2nd, 2008, 4:10 pm

I completely agree with Chesterton never sounding bitter at all.

he calls people out continuously but does so in such a whimsical way that you laugh before your offended.

there was a great rendition of Orthodoxy that was put out with a more youth type base and I found it was easier to read that version. ( I cannot find the book online, but if I do I will post it) Orthodoxy is amazing but if you have a hard time reading through that, Everlasting Man will be a nightmare!

Either way, I love Chesterton (as you can see by my signature) and in many ways I feel his spirit when reading Lewis. Although, I will agree Lewis was definitely more of the logician.
"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Zattara08

Postby Bulgakov » May 8th, 2009, 2:22 pm

I had to read Orthodoxy two or three times to really get what Chesterton was saying (of course, I picked up a number of delightful aphorisms from GK). It also helps to understand the current of modern thought with which GK was dealing at the time.

But as Lewis said, good books invite good reading, and sometimes a book needs to be read several times to be appreciated.
Jacob
"Your revolver in your hand, a prayer on your lips, your mind fixed on Maleldil. Then, if he stands, conjure him.” “What shall I say in the Great Tongue?” “Say that you come in the name of God and all angels and in the power of the planets...." (That Hideous Strength)
Bulgakov

Postby rusmeister » May 9th, 2009, 1:51 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Mornche Geddick » May 16th, 2009, 7:29 am

I have to say I had no trouble at all understanding Orthodoxy first go. I knew what sort of philosophies GKC was talking about straightaway. Perhaps they are perennial errors that have similar forms today. Or perhaps I am just better acquainted with Chesterton's epoch than I realise.

Like Rusmeister, I enjoy the Pilgrim's Regress more and more every time I read it. But not That Hideous Strength, which reveals many flaws. I think Lewis did a lot better when he tried the same theme again in The Last Battle.
Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Postby MotherLodeBeth » January 25th, 2010, 7:54 am

What I like about Chestertons works is its heavy and serious and makes me read and re-read what he says and then I sit and digest it all. Unlike so much of the pablum that passes for Christian literature these days. ~Beth~
:~:Am very much like Lucy in that I
am plain but trust the Lord with all
my heart:~:
MotherLodeBeth
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Inklings & Influences