This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Sir Gawain

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Sir Gawain

Postby repectabiggle » June 2nd, 2008, 8:39 pm

Okay, I really just put this thread in here to get it some visibility, but if asked, I'd mumble something about Malory as an influence and Roger Lancelyn Green and Charles Williams writing Arthurian fiction and poetry.

That aside, I'm wondering how everybody here pronounces the name Gawain. I grew up thinking it was pronounced guh-WANE, but the meter of some poets seems to require GUH-wane. I've looked around online and found some folks who say it is GAH-win or something like that.

That's one of the problems, I suppose, with having interests that most people are unlikley to share and therefore unlikely to talk about: it's too easy to mispronounce a word for years and years. (I misread Cair Paravel as Cair Pavel for maybe upwards of six or seven years as a child, only catching my mistake when watching the BBC production of LWW.)
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 2nd, 2008, 9:15 pm

Seeing as how our son's name is Gawain, I suppose I can answer at least from one point of view:-)

We pronounce it to rhyme with the first part of the phrase "NOW ANd then" out of convenience, but we were told by a medieval literature scholar many years ago that close as that pronunciation is, properly, the second syllable has more of the ai sound as in the name "Wayne" (with the first syllable still emphasized. We originally used that pronunciation, but it is a bit unweildy to get around the tongue and tends toward the "GOWan" form after a while -- especially when the name needs to come out quickly in order to keep a child from running into the street or sticking his hand into a socket:-)

Perhaps a native of Scotland can say what the modern version would properly be.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby blindlemonpie » June 18th, 2008, 7:04 am

blindlemonpie
Wardrobian

Postby Mr Hooper » June 18th, 2008, 10:38 am

Mr Hooper
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » June 18th, 2008, 1:45 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences