This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Tolkien library comparisons

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Postby Adam Linton » August 21st, 2008, 2:29 am

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 21st, 2008, 12:31 pm

It's like Frederick Douglass; every page is filled with the Gospel.
I don't own it. I borrowed it from interlibrary loans. :read:
Last edited by Tuke on September 7th, 2008, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » August 21st, 2008, 2:19 pm

Wait, Spenser's Images of Life is hard to find? I must just have gotten lucky, then. I see it's going for upwards of $40US out there right now. My wife got it for me at $25 back in April 2007 (for my birthday in May). I guess that's still a lot for such a little book (and paperback), but it was fine quality. What did you pay, Adam, if I may ask?

I haven't stepped foot in a library in ten years or more. It's funny, I just don't read books that I'm not going to like, generally. I've always been good at picking them; same with movies. Anyway, I'm sure you all want to hear more about my luck. . . Well, the thing is I figure any book worth reading is worth having, and I don't really spend money on anything else. Am I the only one like this?
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby bruce n h » August 21st, 2008, 4:11 pm

bruce n h
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » August 22nd, 2008, 12:58 am

Oh yeah! I forgot I have Greg and Tim Hildebrandt: The Tolkien Years with all their calendar illustrations, including a poster of the Nazgul.

And I have the BBC audio book dramatization of Lord of the Rings on CD.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » August 22nd, 2008, 1:17 am

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » August 22nd, 2008, 8:09 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 23rd, 2008, 5:54 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » August 23rd, 2008, 6:36 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 24th, 2008, 5:13 pm

I think I got that from the editor's commentary or introduction, but it's been a couple years since I read it.

Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby ainulindale » September 6th, 2008, 9:26 pm

ainulindale

Location: 7 time zones west and 7 degrees south of mount athos

Postby sunbear » November 25th, 2008, 10:09 pm

My list is not particularly impressive, but I don't want those of us who only have a few to be under represented!

My wife and I each have our own copy of the Lord of the Rings series plus the hobbit. The number of books and movies we had in common was one way we knew we were right for each other...hey, we met at a book discussion group...what can I say!

In addition to that, we have one copy of The Annotated Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and The Children of Hurin. I also own a book called Christian Myth Makers that mentions Tolkien. I have tried to read the Annotated Hobbit through like a book before, but I always get bogged down in the little asides and therefore simply use it as a resource.

It's a humble Tolkien collection, but you have to start somewhere. Our Lewis section though, well...that's another story :)
sunbear

Re: Tolkien library comparisons

Postby JDMalament » May 20th, 2010, 2:19 pm

Member of the 2456317 Club

"It is one thing to describe an interview with a gorgon or a griffin, a creature who does not exist. It is another thing to discover that the rhinoceros does exist and then take pleasure in the fact that he looks as if he didn't."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
JDMalament
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Inklings & Influences