This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Tolkien Audio Collection [update---I got it]

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Tolkien Audio Collection [update---I got it]

Postby rumzy » December 26th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Does anyone have any editions of the Tolkien Audio Collection in which Tolkien reads excerpts from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I was looking on amazon.com and also harpercollins.com and there are a few different options with a wide range of prices. There is the "J.R.R. Tolkien Audio Collection" which is about $20, and there is the "Essential Tolkien CD" for $12. But there is also the "Tolkien Audio Collection" which is $45. Does anyone know the difference? The descriptions are all similarly vague.
Rumzy
Last edited by rumzy on January 6th, 2009, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
rumzy
Wardrobian

Re: Tolkien Audio Collection

Postby john » December 26th, 2008, 5:17 pm

I have the BBC's dramatization of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, which are both fantastic.
Don't know if you want an audiobook or a dramatization, though.

EDIT: And...I just realized that I didn't remotely answer your question. :rolleyes:
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby rumzy » December 30th, 2008, 4:22 pm

Someone has to have some version of the "Tolkien Audio Collection." Anybody?
rumzy
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » December 31st, 2008, 1:43 am

I own the Tolkien Audio Collection from HarperCollins. JRRT reads selections from The Hobbit and LOTR on two CDs and Christopher Tolkien reads selections from the Silmarillion on the two other CDs. It's lovely to hear JRRT's voice.

I can't remember what I paid for them.
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby rumzy » December 31st, 2008, 4:58 am

rumzy
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » December 31st, 2008, 3:27 pm

Mine has the photo of Tolkien on the front and is found on Amazon at The J.R.R. Tolkien Audio Collection [ABRIDGED] [AUDIOBOOK] (Audio CD). Publisher: Caedmon; Abridged edition (October 2, 2001) ISBN-10: 0694525707 ISBN-13: 978-0694525706. I paid $17.50 five years ago for it.

The edition with Tolkien's drawing of the ring is the Tolkien Audio Collection (HarperCollins AudioBooks) [AUDIOBOOK] (Audio CD). Publisher: HarperCollins Audio (July 15, 2002) ISBN-10: 0007147015 ISBN-13: 978-0007147014 is the same thing but costs much more.
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby rumzy » December 31st, 2008, 4:49 pm

Thanks for the info. I thought it looked like the same thing. I went ahead and ordered the same one you have. I wonder why there is such a large price difference. Anyway, thanks again.
rumzy
Wardrobian

Re: Tolkien Audio Collection [update---I got it]

Postby rumzy » January 6th, 2009, 4:18 pm

So, not having much information about the $50 version, I got the $25 dollar one, identical to yours Paul, and it arrived at my door yesterday. It is so much fun. I can't believe that more Wardrobians don't have this. It is truly wonderful to hear Tolkien reading his poems and playing his characters. I highly recommend getting it in some form (if you get the $50 dollar one, feel free to tell me what's so special about it).
rumzy
Wardrobian

Re: Tolkien Audio Collection [update---I got it]

Postby Adam Linton » March 25th, 2009, 12:28 am

Sorry not to have responded before; I have the Caedmon set you purchased and Dr. Ford has, as well...
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences