This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

thoughts on Charles Williams

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

thoughts on Charles Williams

Postby Adam Linton » July 5th, 2009, 3:05 am

I'd read a number of things by Charles Williams, English lay theologian and writer (and Inkling, as well). But not until now his Descent Into Hell. Yesterday and today I actually had two straight full days off and have been reading it. Williams is not easy to read (for a number of reasons). Yet I do find him compelling--and Descent is nothing less than stunning. Engaging; deeply moving at times--chilling, too, as he is able to describe in vivid power the highly consequential difference that barely noticed emotional/cognitive decisions can make. Magnificent.

Williams has to be read slowly; but he certainly can be gripping--making one both want to strain ahead but also not miss anything. (Many thanks, by the way--and for the record, to Stanley, who helped/encouraged me to get started with Williams a few years ago.)

So I thought that I'd open a free flowing Charles Williams thread here.

Welcome to the world of Co-Inherence.

Any takers?
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Re: thoughts on Charles Williams

Postby Paul F. Ford » July 23rd, 2009, 9:54 pm

Adam,

Descent Into Hell is a book I can read only during the daylight, such is its power to grip my imagination.

I forget who said that That Hideous Strength is a Charles Williams novel written by C. S. Lewis. I find this observation very true.

I have read a great deal of Charles Williams. In fact, for our wedding, George Sayer gave Janice and me Lewis's own copy of Williams's anthology, The Christian Year, inscribed "C.S.L. from C.W. / Lent 1941."

Let's see if we can get this discussion started.

Blessings,
Paul
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » July 24th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Thanks, Paul; indeed, I’d like to see the discussion get going.

I’m fairly new with Williams, only having started with him about five years ago. Can’t say that I’ve read that much.

So far: All Hallows’ Eve, War in Heaven, The Place of the Lion, Descent into Hell, and his play on Thomas Cranmer. Just launching into Many Dimensions. I’ve decided to do with Williams what I do with particular authors every few years: undertake a one to two years extensive reading through their work.

I’d be very open to suggestions. At this point, in terms of the non-fiction, I’m inclined to start with Descent of the Dove (perhaps keying into some other work that I’m doing in ecclesiology), then He Came Down from Heaven/The Forgiveness of Sins.

And while I’m usually fairly strict about reading secondary literature second, I’d be most interested in hearing of what you’ve written in terms of Williams studies
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » July 24th, 2009, 4:04 pm

Descent of the Dove is great, as is He Came Down from Heaven/The Forgiveness of Sins.

Do you know his The Image of the City and Other Essays (Oxford, 1958)? Cowley Publicatins has a collection called Charles Williams: Essential Writings in Spirituality and Theology (1993: ISBN 1-56101-073-1).

I am most intrigued/moved by his theology of co-inherence.

What work are you doing in ecclesiology?

My only writing on Williams is in my dissertation (not published).

Blessings,
Paul
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » July 24th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby agingjb » August 1st, 2009, 8:48 am

There is also Williams' Arthurian poetry: Taliessin Through Logres and The Region of the Summer Stars, together with Arthurian Torso, which is a partially completed series of essays by Williams, The Figure of Arthur and a commentary by CSL, Williams and the Arthuriad, on the poems.

I find the poetry hard going, but the essays interesting.
agingjb
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » August 1st, 2009, 2:32 pm

Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby galion » August 1st, 2009, 3:05 pm

And at a slight tangent: his The Figure of Beatrice (1943) inspired Dorothy L. Sayers to embark on her translation of Dante.
galion
Wardrobian

Postby The Exodus » September 4th, 2009, 2:57 pm

In brief, could anyone educate me as to what C.W.'s doctrine of co-inherence is all about? I've never read anything by the man.
The Exodus

Postby Paul F. Ford » September 4th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » September 28th, 2009, 3:00 pm

The only book I´ve read so far is The Place of the Lion. It´s rather difficult to get books in foreign languages. Is their a possibility to read Williams on the net?
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » September 28th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Yes, Lioba, it appears that a lot of Williams (nine books) is available to the internet:

Blessings,
Paul
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » September 29th, 2009, 8:57 am

Thank you, Paul, this wikisource is much better than the German.
Iustitia est ad alterum.
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby equustel » November 20th, 2009, 5:11 pm

I just recently read The Place of the Lion - my first exposure to Charles Williams. A co-worker who knew I liked Lewis lent me an old paperback copy of it. I'm now completely intrigued and have ordered Descent of the Dove from biblio.com to get a taste for his non-fiction... definitely intend to seek out his other novels, too (especially curious about All Hallow's Eve and Descent Into Hell). It's been a long time since I found myself so compelled to explore a single author's work.
equustel

Postby Adam Linton » November 21st, 2009, 12:28 pm

Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences