This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Tolkien's Runes, an actual rune of earth?

Plato to MacDonald to Chesterton, Tolkien and the Boys in the Pub.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Tolkien's Runes, an actual rune of earth?

Postby Solomons Song » September 26th, 2009, 3:19 pm

My friend just uncovered something very interesting, He found . Interestingly enough, it isn't about a Tolkien rune, but a Germanic rune. But when my friend downloaded the font necessary to view the website correctly, the font was called "The One Ring". Did Tolkien use an actual earthly rune for the language of Morder? Was it this Germanic rune? If you do not have the font, and want to view the site without installing the font, for a screenshot.

I am amazed that Tolkien would not create his own rune for this. I know that both Sindarin and Quenya, along with their respective runes, are derivatives of earthly languages and runes, but not exact to any earthly languages runes. I find it unusual that he would use an actual earthly rune, unmodified, for any of his middle-earth languages.

Can anyone enlighten me about this?
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Re: Tolkien's Runes, an actual rune of earth?

Postby galion » October 1st, 2009, 6:12 pm

In The Hobbit Tolkien uses Anglo-Saxon runes ('futhorc'). Elsewhere, as far as I'm aware, he uses his own. As for languages: Quenya has a lot in common with Finnish, Sindarin (also Goldogrin, Nandorin etc.) rather less with Welsh. However, his main consideration in devising these languages seems to have been phonaesthetics.
galion
Wardrobian

Postby deadwhitemale » October 12th, 2009, 5:12 am

I stand to be corrected about this, but I think his Dwarf runes rather resembled earthly Norse/Teutonic/Anglo-Saxon runes.

DWM
"It is when we try to grapple with another man's intimate need that we perceive how incomprehensible, wavering, and misty are the beings that share with us the sight of the stars and the warmth of the sun." -- Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim(1899?)
deadwhitemale
Wardrobian

Postby galion » October 12th, 2009, 11:19 am

There were several styles of Germanic runes, the commonest being the Scandinavian rune series called "futhark", from the names of its first six letters. The version of this used for representing Old English had slightly different values, as indicated by the fact that it is known as "futhorc"; and the dwarf runes used in The Hobbit are a variant of this. However, the runes used in The Lord of the Rings have completely different values, and are, I believe, Tolkien's own invention. Clearer? :smile:
galion
Wardrobian

Return to Inklings & Influences