This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 7 - part 1

The final book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Chapter 7 - part 1

Postby Kanakaberaka » March 15th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Overview of chapter 7, The Pendragon. The focus of each of the four sections :

1 - Jane arrives at the manor house and meets Mr. Fisher-King.

2 - Jane's personal talk with the Director.

3 - Jane's return trip to Edgestow

4 - Jane's capture and escape from the N.I.C.E. Police.

Synopsis of part 1 : Upon being let in through the main entrance by Mr. Denniston, Jane is welcomed by Ivy Maggs. She soon finds herself being interviewed by Grace Ironwood and most of the others at the Manor house. Miss Ironwood has Jane identify the mysterious man watching her dreams with a photograph. Finaly after careful instructions from Miss Ironwood, Jane gets to meet The Director, Mr. Fisher-King.

Jane likens her interview with Miss Ironwood, Mr. & Mrs. Denniston and Ivy Maggs to a "viva voce examination". This refers to a "live voice" oral exam which is a common thesis defense in academia. I'm sure that Lewis would have been well acquainted with such exams considering his profession. Ivy and the Denniston's are at first quite enthusiastic about what Jane has to tell them. So much so that Grace Ironwood has to restrain thier chatter. Miss Ironwood then hands Jane a photograph of a man named Augustus Frost whom Jane identifies as the interloper of her dreams. Miss Ironwood passes the information on to "the Director", but gives Jane no further information.
Last edited by Kanakaberaka on March 17th, 2010, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Chapter 7 - part 1

Postby Kanakaberaka » March 15th, 2010, 7:23 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Chapter 7 - part 1

Postby Kanakaberaka » March 15th, 2010, 7:43 pm

Yet in spite of the charisma oozing from the jovial man, or maybe because of it, Jane's impression is one of fear. Fear for what it is this unique man will demand of her. What questions will he ask her and how she will be able to answer. All because he has broken down all resistance on her part. This sounds to me as if Mr. Fisher-King has taken on a God-like manner in his ability to impress other people. I almost wonder if maybe Lewis went a little too far in his depiction of post Perelandra Ransom here, or whether he was really on to something about what awaits all who answer God's call.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Chapter 7 - part 1

Postby Matthew Whaley » March 21st, 2010, 1:05 am

Considering what Ransom did on Perelandra, engaging in mortal combat with Satan,then defeating him and then living to tell about it; I think Ransom is indeed Christ -like. He is still only a man, but a man chosen, set apart to fulfill a specfic task, and having been obedient, transformed. The effect of that transformation affects everyone he comes in contact with, even if they know nothing about his past.
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in."
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Return to That Hideous Strength