This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Map for THS

The final book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Map for THS

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 1st, 2008, 11:50 pm

This is a map by one of my favorite fantasy artists, Tim Kirk from a Mythlore magazine way back in 1970. It's always been hard for me to "see" the layout of things and places described in books, and particularly so in THS, so I found this map helpful (not to mention just fun to look at):

(edited to show bigger image. Thanks Dunrobin, for helping me post this larger image. By the way, it is not even yet "full size" -- I just made it 1000 pixels wide as a compromise for space and displaying on this forum. If anyone would like a "full size" image, I can try to rescan it at the 8-1/2x11 inch size of the original in my magazine. By the way Tim Kirk did an equally wonderful Narnia map although it is larger -- about twice the size that I also have)

--Stanley
Last edited by Stanley Anderson on October 3rd, 2008, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dunrobin » October 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am

Here's a permanent link to the full sized map that Stanley sent to me:

Dunrobin
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 3rd, 2008, 4:27 pm

(so at least on my browser, the image in my post above still gets reduced to 550 pixels wide, yet when I click on Dunrobin's link and a new window opens up, the image shows at the 1000 pixel width. Does the Wardrobe site automatically reduce images down? In any case, click on Dunrobin's link to see the larger image I guess)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dunrobin » October 3rd, 2008, 4:58 pm

Dunrobin
Wardrobian

Scenic Overview

Postby Kanakaberaka » October 4th, 2008, 12:40 am

Thank you for this visual aid, Stanley. This map gives me a better image of where the characters are going. The only detail I can't find is the wall around Bragdon Wood. I hope I'm not missing it. Tim Kirk also did that sketch of the three hnau of Malacandra along with Ransom which I enjoyed.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 4th, 2008, 2:09 pm

And of course remember that the map is only how the artist imagined it. It may not be how Lewis imagined it himself. But I think it follows the the general directional and layout comments that Lewis makes throughout the book. I would like to see things like where the tunnel opened out into the area outside the wood where Merlin emerged and where the earth swallowed up Feverstone -- various things like that.

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Map

Postby alcuin » November 7th, 2008, 2:36 pm

Thank you for the map.

I am looking at the planetary novels as part of a sabbatical study, entitled Fictional Landscapes of Faith. The map is a useful reference tool.

Cheers.
alcuin

Return to That Hideous Strength