This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 4 - part 2

The final book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Chapter 4 - part 2

Postby Kanakaberaka » 16 Mar 2009, 18:11

Synopsis : Mrs. Dimble is awakened as Jane shouts out in his sleep. It's Jane's latest dream / vision. And once again, Jane's inherited talent has put her ill at ease. This time she witnesses a different old man valiently fight a group of thugs who have forced him out of his car. But the old man's courage is no match for their brute force. So this heroic figure is eventualy defeated. Jane feels sad for the fate of this old man. And yet she was not frightened as she was by her previous dream.

Once again the tables are turned, and now it's time for Mrs. Dimble to comfort Jane. Jane's shouting while still unconcious is not natural during regular dreams. Most people are unable to move or speak while dreaming. So this has to be some sort of supernatual or psychic occurance. Oddly it reminds me of an outburst I had as a child which awoke my parents. I talked about being very sick. Stragely the next day I remembered nothing about saying anything in bed.

This time Jane has become more acclimated to her special vision. She knows that she is in no danger. So when she witnesses a brave old man fend for himself against a mob who have waylayed him, she does not feel fear. She does recognise this vision as more than simply a movie. So she is saddened by what she has witnessed.

And what a fight it was. Somehow I belive this honorable old fellow, whom readers can assume to be "Bill the blizzard" Hingest, would have wanted to go down fighting for a cause rather than fadding away in a nursing home. Lewis describes the fisticuffs in terms of battle of a lone hero against a cowardly throng who nees their weapons to force the old man down. This shows Hingest to be a man of substance, even if he wasn't much of a Christian. But in the end, all his strenghth and courage are unable to prevail against this force of darkness.

Jane noted that this occured at a crossroad, the plance where evil spirits are said to loiter. This fact makes it clear that what Jane had thought was odd light from a lantern could have been something demonic -
The light from the lantern seemed all funny. It looked as if it made long uprights of light- sort of rods- all around the place.
Jane does not realize that those "lights" could in fact be of diabolic origin. More about this is mentioned later in this novel.

Mrs. Dimle asks Jane if she is able to go back to sleep. Jane is more concerned about Mrs. Dimble's headache which she tells Jane is gone. This reveals the sort of person Jane is. She worries more about the well being of her guest rather than her own discomfort. Compare this to how lackadaisical and self centered Mark often is when dealing with others.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Return to That Hideous Strength