This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 5 - part 2

The final book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Chapter 5 - part 2

Postby Kanakaberaka » December 15th, 2009, 7:51 pm

Synopsis : Mark's mood is glum at Belbury as he goes to see Wither once again about his position and salary. As usual, the Deputy Director speaks of matters so vaguely it is difficult for Mark, not to mention the reader to bear. Mark appears to be getting an answer from him just when the mail arrives. The easily distracted Wither suggests Mark look over his own mail as well. Mark has recieved a letter from Curry who assumes that Mark has resigned his fellowship. Mark posts an intentionally vague letter back to Curry in which he denies news of his resignation. And yet he feels he must give himself room to leave Bracton College should he be formally accepted at the N.I.C.E. Mark then has a miserable conversation with a fellow new arrival named Stone, only to be interrupedted by the creepy appearance of Wither. Finally Mark thinks he has found a sympathetic ear with Lord Feverstone. Yet to Mark's chagrin, Feverstone retains his jolly demenor as he gives Mark the brush off.

Lewis illustrates Mark's despair about being left out of the activities going on at Belbury in this section. Once again we must read through an excruciatingly detailed account of Wither's words to Mark. Only this time Mark gets a tentative salary agreement of "fifteen hundred a year, allowing for fluctuations calculated on a very liberal basis." That's about as definite as Wither ever gets. But then the morning mail arrives and even this matter is put aside.

In his letter to Mark, Curry mentions the fracas which took place in the previous chapter between the N.I.C.E. workmen and the local inhabitants of Edgestow. This allows Mark to see what's going on back at the college. And yet his main concern is not the sort of organization he wants to be let in on, but whether or not he might end up "falling between two stools".
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Chapter 5 - part 2

Postby Kanakaberaka » December 15th, 2009, 8:32 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Chapter 5 - part 2

Postby jo » December 16th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Despite the fact that I find him otherwise fairly unlikeable at this stage, nonetheless I genuinely felt for Mark in this chapter. Who hasn't experienced the sensation of feeling, by degrees, that they've made the wrong decision or taken the wrong action somewhere along the line and are being headed off on a course which they neither intended, nor desire to take? It is perfectly obvious that Mark is being manipulated - by Wither, by Feverstone, by the NICE itself and yet he is not in a position to alter the course that he has set himself on..
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Return to That Hideous Strength