This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 6 - part 2

The final book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Chapter 6 - part 2

Postby Kanakaberaka » January 19th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Synopsis : A dense fog covers Edgestow as well as the ugly works of the N.I.C.E. there. As the N.I.C.E. begins it's diversion of the Wynd river, they demand that Bracton College sell them the land right up to the college walls. Busby and the Progressive Element are blamed for this. None of the commotions around town are reported in the newspapers. A plethora of foreign work men have made Edgestow overcrowded to the discomfort of it's residents. This turmoil extends into Jane's dreams. She has a disturbing dream/vision in which she is the one being watched. Mark begins his research on the "rehabilitation" of Alcasan with the help of Miss Hardcastle's second in command. The funeral for William Hingest is interrupted by the loutish workers in the fog just outside the college chapel. Curry and the Bursar feel insulted, but the junior fellows under Lord Feverstone's influence take it as a joke.

So much happens in part 2 of this chapter that it could have been made into three subchapters. The one theme common to all of part 2 is turmoil. Edgestow is under siege by an army of barbaric workers. Mark runs roughshod over the truth as he puts his spin on Alcasan. And the last rites for Hingest the skeptic are interupted by the curses of the same N.I.C.E. laborers.

The smug inner circle of Bracton's Progressive Element shrinks as Busby and the Warden get the blame for inviting the N.I.C.E. into town. What they thought would be the chance of a life time has proven to be the destruction of Edgestow.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Chapter 6 - part 2

Postby Kanakaberaka » January 19th, 2010, 6:51 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Chapter 6 - part 2

Postby Kanakaberaka » January 19th, 2010, 7:24 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Chapter 6 - part 2

Postby Kanakaberaka » January 19th, 2010, 8:03 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Chapter 6 - part 2

Postby Matthew Whaley » February 7th, 2010, 12:38 am

It always seems darkest before the dawn. Bracton College and all of Edgestow are at the mercy of the N.I.C.E. Things can only get worse. But in this paragraph is a foreshadowing of hope; a symbolic introduction of Ransom into the story. " Then came maces and beadles and censors and the Grand Rector of Edgestow; then singing, the choir, and finally the coffin---an island of appalling flowers drifting indistinctly through the fog, which seemed to have poured in , thicker, colder, and wetter, with the opening of the door." The man in this coffin died fighting valiantly against evil represented by the N.I.C.E. Ransom travelled to Peralandra in a "celestial coffin" to do battle with evil in the person of Dr. Weston in a previous story. The fog, made of water, is a kind of darkness which can be felt. I hope this isnt a spoiler, I'm new at this and am open to suggestions. :anxious:
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Perelandra Reference

Postby Kanakaberaka » February 7th, 2010, 3:40 am

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Return to That Hideous Strength