This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 6 - part 3

The final book in Lewis' theological science fiction Space Trilogy.

Chapter 6 - part 3

Postby Kanakaberaka » February 8th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Synopsis of part 3 : Mark is rewarded for his obsequiousness with admission to the inner circle of the N.I.C.E. Wither, Lord Feverstone, Fairly Hardcastle, Filostrato, Straik are all there as well as a Professor Frost. They meet late at night in the library where Mark was given the cold shoulder earlier. During his first meeting Mark is shocked to discover that the disturbances in Edgestow have been engineered by the N.I.C.E. And to make matters worse, they intend to unleash a full scale riot to bring about emergency measures. And yet Mark becomes a willing accomplice when he agrees to write editorials explaining this turmoil before it occurs.

The new arrival at Belbury appears to be the voyeur Jane saw in her latest dream. For now Professor Frost remains silent among the inner circle.

Mark can't understand why the former Reverend Straik would belong to such a jolly bunch of conspirators. He takes everything seriously, in comparison to the others. I have the feeling that Mark mistakes Straik's preaching for genuine religious thought. That's something that Mark has no desire to consider. If he would only take the time to listen to what Straik has to say about the Resurrection being "Neither a historical fact nor a fable ... but a prophecy", Mark would have realized that Straik worships scientific progress rather than God.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Chapter 6 - part 3

Postby Kanakaberaka » February 8th, 2010, 8:40 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Chapter 6 - part 3

Postby Kanakaberaka » February 10th, 2010, 3:40 pm

Fairy Hardcastle insists that Mark should begin his preemptive editorial writing immediatly after they finish another drink. Then she adds that they can call for "devilled bones and coffee" as a late night snack. Devilled bones are usually spicy broiled beef ribs or possibly chicken legs and wings. It sounds sort of like the "buffallo wings" we have here in the USA. I suspect that Lewis added this gastronomic detail to hint at the diabolical. Devilled bones certainly sounds like spiritual mayhem.
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Chapter 6 - part 3

Postby Matthew Whaley » February 12th, 2010, 7:35 am

Spiritual mayhem and a very bad case of heartburn. Do you think this book could be made into a movie?
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

That Hideous Movie

Postby Kanakaberaka » February 12th, 2010, 9:48 am

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: That Hideous Movie

Postby Theophilus » February 12th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Theophilus
Wardrobian

bad idea

Postby Kanakaberaka » February 12th, 2010, 9:10 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: bad idea

Postby Matthew Whaley » February 13th, 2010, 6:07 am

I think it would be hard to make the first two movies because of what people today know about Mars and Venus. Even if the location of the planets were changed, the symbols of male and female that the two planets represent would have to be scrapped or done somewhat differently and this would alter an essential element that runs like a thread through the whole trilogy. But you are right, Ransom has to go to Malacandra and Perelandra in order for the audience watching THS to understand who he is. Maybe thats why no one has yet tried to make a movie based on these three stories.
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

classical mythology

Postby Kanakaberaka » February 14th, 2010, 3:13 am

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Chapter 6 - part 3

Postby Matthew Whaley » February 14th, 2010, 6:15 am

I was thinking more about the audience and their willing suspension of disbelief in order to fully enjoy the film. I think Lewis goes far beyond the best Science Fiction in his writing. Alterantive History Fiction is new to me. THS is a modern fairy tale for adults, and updating Ransom for the twenty first century would be very difficult. I also think that the point of the space trilogy was to show what the current beliefs about progress taken to their logical extemes would lead to: A world that no one would really want to live in.

I have always imagined the director and actor John Huston playing the part of Mr. Wither. Do you think John Travolta would make a good Fairy Hardcastle? :grin:
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

That Hideous casting

Postby Kanakaberaka » February 15th, 2010, 2:52 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Return to That Hideous Strength