This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Comments on the book's preface and William Blake's "Marriage

Re: Comments on the book's preface and William Blake's "Marr

Postby Matthew Whaley » May 13th, 2010, 3:05 am

I don't think that Lewis stated that Blake was in "disasterous error;" what I think Lewis means is that there is an attempt by human beings to make the marriage of Heaven and Hell something perpetual, stable, and permanent: that the belief that all roads lead to Heaven is in fact the "disasterous error." Although Blake writes The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, Lewis admits that he does not feel he knows what Blake actually means. The ambiguity makes for great poetry and we can see into it many different things. William Blake was not a big fan of institutional religion, the monarchy , or capitalism. His writings were meant to provoke thought and alert his readers to the evils perpetrated by the powers and authorities of eighteenth century London in the hope of helping the poor and improving their living conditions.
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in."
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » May 13th, 2010, 5:47 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » May 13th, 2010, 7:12 pm

OK I started a thread on . :)
Nerd42