This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Chapter 1 - The Grey Town

Chapter 1 - The Grey Town

Postby Nerd42 » May 13th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

"The Works of Aristotle" in Chapter 1 - The Grey Town

Postby Paul F. Ford » May 15th, 2010, 6:50 pm

I am racking my brain to remember where I read that "The Works of Aristotle" refers to this: . The attentive reader will want to know that Lewis is not denigrating the real Aristotle.
Last edited by Paul F. Ford on May 15th, 2010, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Re: Chapter 1 - The Grey Town

Postby Paul F. Ford » May 15th, 2010, 6:52 pm

"Hoardings" are billboards.
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » May 15th, 2010, 6:53 pm

For "goods stations," see
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Re: "The Works of Aristotle" in Chapter 1 - The Grey Town

Postby Nerd42 » May 17th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » May 17th, 2010, 3:51 pm

I'm not sure what it says about me, but when I read the part about the "Change Places" lady I always thought she was trying to buy a better spot rather than sell hers! I went back and reread the passage and honestly it could go either way. It makes a big difference when trying to picture her "in life" though. I had thought of her as one of those people who think their money can get them where ever they need to be (designer wardrobe, 1st class travel, etc.) She reminded me of Stairway to Heaven.
It makes me wonder how much our own unconscience biases can color how we interpret characters like these.
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » May 17th, 2010, 3:54 pm

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » May 17th, 2010, 4:07 pm

The way I read it, the 1st time I read the book, this is what I understood. He offers to change places for cash, she gets out of line to "buy" the new spot but since the money is no good (which everyone else knew and is why they all laughed at her for trying it) she not only didn't get the better spot but lost the one she had. I thought the fellow was probably mocking her since he would have known the cash wouldn't be worth anything either. Please don't ask me where I got that impression, but there is so much chatter among the "crowd" about class and who is better than the others that it felt right for it to be a sin of pride that got her cast out of the line. Or maybe I had too many customers in the store where I work that day who put on airs and thought they could buy and sell everyone they met and it colored my impressions. Or maybe I'm just wrong. That has been known to happen.
All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » May 17th, 2010, 9:43 pm

The buyer effectively engages to accept the value of the payment, then reneges. She's acting the fool, he the knave.
Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » May 17th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » May 17th, 2010, 11:01 pm

~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » May 18th, 2010, 2:28 am

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » May 18th, 2010, 3:00 pm

No, and it's sad really because instead of a cleansing rain that washes away their sin and brings new life, they've chosen to see a cloaking grey drizzle that is slowly disolving the remains of their humanity.
After all, even rain is subjective. Have you never seen a child playing in the rain? Compare that with the people who are stuck in it in the Town. (I wonder what they would do if one of them suddenly started laughing and splashing in puddles?)
~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » May 18th, 2010, 7:23 pm

IIRC the apostate bishop does see it as a gentle, heavenly city. His delusional misreading does not affect the given environment. The rain cannot become a remedy for sins; if they thought so, their state would become worse; if they wished for that, perhaps it could become better. But these are mostly failed Anglicans, whose half-knowledge is from another angle than the half-knowledge of most Americans.
Apocatastasis Now!
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby paminala » May 18th, 2010, 9:18 pm

What I meant to suggest is that they are, in a way, creating the Hell that they are in. Perhaps if a person were less willing to participate in creating Hell he would be less likely to have to live there. The idea of the bus giving the people a chance to be lifted up surely suggests that a remedy does exist (at least within Lewis' premise) if only they are willing to accept it. Otherwise the story itself has nowhere to go.
~ Galileo Galilei
paminala
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Great Divorce