This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Taking a CS Lewis class

The man. The myth.

Taking a CS Lewis class

Postby Carrie » March 4th, 2010, 2:30 am

So, just yesterday I was complaining to Dan that my husband didn't want to take the CS Lewis class at his seminary because it didn't meet on the right days. Well, today I get an email that the professer is offering it as a seminary wives; class. So, I signed up immediately! It took 4 years of seminary for them to finally offer a decent wives' class (classes they offer for free on Tuesday nights for the wives of seminarians). THe class is called "Selected Works from C.S. Lewis." I'll let you all know if I learn any new great insights!
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Re: Taking a CS Lewis class

Postby Dan65802 » March 4th, 2010, 6:40 pm

That's awesome!

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » March 4th, 2010, 6:54 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » March 5th, 2010, 5:12 am

Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby JDMalament » May 6th, 2010, 3:45 am

I took a class on C.S. Lewis about five years ago. It's up there among my favorite classes that I've taken. Which books did/are you reading?

- Jared
JDMalament
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » May 7th, 2010, 2:06 am

We read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, The Great Divorce, and Poems. The Great Divorce had been on my need-to-read list for awhile, so i was glad it was a book for the class. It meant that I had to read it. I really enjoyed it, as well. The class was only 6 weeks long, and I had to miss the first and last week due to staff meetings at work. But, overall, the class was enjoyable.

Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » May 7th, 2010, 5:23 am

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby JDMalament » May 7th, 2010, 11:46 pm

JDMalament
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » May 8th, 2010, 5:41 pm

The class was meant to focus on the fiction and be more of a literature class than a theology class, although we did look at the theology of the books. Poems was very interesting, as it's a collection of poetry from all times of Lewis's life, including his agnostic period.

Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby Lucys_Wardrobe » July 12th, 2010, 11:52 am

Wow, that would be awesome to take a class on C.S. Lewis! I would love to study him and his works more from an academic perspective. You're very lucky to be able to take a course like that, and it is very awesome!
Lucys_Wardrobe

Postby Larry W. » August 6th, 2010, 11:46 pm

Back in the 1970's I took a C. S. Lewis course when I was a student at Hope College. The class was taught by Dr. Peter Schakel, who also wrote a book titled Reading with the Heart: The Way into Narnia. Here is the complete text of the book online if you wish to read it:

I think it's probably the best book ever written on Narnia other than the stories themselves. Reading it is almost as good as taking a refresher class.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis