This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Opinions on Mrs. Moore

The man. The myth.

Re: Opinions on Mrs. Moore

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2005, 2:12 pm

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2005, 9:51 am

In his 1996 introduction to "Jack", his biography of Lewis, George Sayer states:

"I have had to alter my opinion of Lewis's relationship with Mrs. Moore. In chapter eight of this book I wrote that I was uncertain about whether they were lovers. Now after conversations with Mrs. Moore's daughter, Maureen, and a consideration of the way in which their bedrooms were arranged at The Kilns, I am quite certain that they were."

Sayer goes on to discuss the possible psychological background for the relationship, and then concludes, again from statements made by Maureen, that Lewis would have married Mrs. Moore if her first husband had divorced her.

What is not in doubt in anyone's writings about their relationship, is that any sexual aspect ceased as soon as Lewis became a Christian.

As for Mrs. Moore being an ogre, Warren certainly disliked her and felt that her demands on Lewis's time meant that he was unable to fulfill his potential as an academic and writer. Warren's views have tended to colour the portrayal of her in most biographies, and although one would like to give her the benefit of the doubt for Lewis's sake, in reading the second volume of his letters it seems that even Lewis felt that in later years she was difficult and demanding and at times treated him as little better than a domestic servant. Also, Lewis would of course have had fewer, if any, financial worries if he had not been supporting a family.

The fact that through all this Lewis remained true to his promise to his friend Paddy Moore, and acknowledged the positive influence on his character that the relationship had, only strenghtens my deep admiration for the man.

Postby Ward » April 28th, 2005, 9:00 pm

Ward
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » May 2nd, 2005, 11:59 am

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Ward » May 2nd, 2005, 9:01 pm

Ward
Wardrobian