This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Favourite Lewis books

The man. The myth.

18%
1%
10%
12%
3%
4%
3%
No votes
No votes
33%
3%
11%

Total votes : 90

Re: Favourite Lewis books

Postby Áthas » April 24th, 2005, 4:44 pm

Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » April 24th, 2005, 10:07 pm

Larry

I can't help thinking that a library assistant in a public library would not keep his (or her) job long if he even commented on books being borrowed let alone critisised the borrower's taste.
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 25th, 2005, 1:53 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » April 25th, 2005, 1:56 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2005, 2:47 pm

Larry W,

Through my husband, who is a blue-collar worker (and leagues smarter than anyone else in his family, including his brother-in-law who has his MA), I know some of the brightest people in North Texas. My husband's coworkers are incredible. All of them read a lot, and some of them read fiction. At least one of them is independently wealthy because his fortune survived the stock market--no accident, either--and he does blue collar work to occupy his time because he loves it.

My best friend is a maid--she owns her own housecleaning business. She is more erudite than her younger sister who is about to graduate with a BA in Literary Studies, and said younger sister bitterly complains about it, too (with a wink of course).

I believe what Sven said is true--that people are either readers or they are not, worldwide. Unfortunately, our educational system is not really conducive to reading--my best education has been self-education. In my time out of college (when I've had time to read) I've learned more than my time in college. Which, if anything, undermines the hypothesis that those with "higher education" tend to be readers. I maintain that those with "higher education", plain and simple, tend to be funded. And if they also happen to read, that's wonderful. :)

Now, back to the subject. I'm going to break this one down into categories:

Best Lewis critical work: Allegory of Love. I may not learn as much as I do from his other criticism, but I think, in this, Lewis gets to show off his pyrotechnics more than his other criticisms. In this his amazing genius gets to show off, and it is great, great fun.

Best Lewis apologetic work: As amazing as Mere Christianity is, I really enjoyed Miracles. It's sublime, and goosebump-worthy.

Best Lewis expository work: Jury's still out on this one. (Admission: I have not yet read all of his essays.) However, his inaugural address and Weight of Glory are tied for first right now.

Best Lewis non-CoN fiction: Space Trilogy--That Hideous Strength. I find it, as fiction, a culmination of many of Lewis' theories, a meeting of his Norse days (Tolkien influence) and his Arthurian interest (CW influence), a sweet and delectable dream with power just emanating out of the pages and a mysticism that is delightful to wade in. It is Chronicles of Narnia all grown up (but without having lost the childhood in the process), it is more approachable than Charles Williams (though I adore his works), and it is greatly unfair that it had to end at all.

Best of CoN: Last Battle. I wonder if I will be able to survive rereading it. The last time I approached it, I swear my heart stopped at the end and I thought I would be shortly joining them. :P But really, it is all the other Chronicles rolled into one; it is the completeness and height of CoN; it is satisfying in that one goes away nearly in tears for not being there yet.

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 25th, 2005, 3:13 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » April 26th, 2005, 1:44 pm

Áthas
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 27th, 2005, 12:42 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby pjb0015 » May 20th, 2005, 4:04 pm

out of the silent planet is definitely my favorite, although I still haven't read till we have faces, and I think I might really like that one!
a member of the 2456317 club

sitting up till the small hours in someone's college rooms talking nonsense, poetry, theology, metaphysics over beer, tea, and pipes
pjb0015
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to C. S. Lewis