This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Speculations on Lewis' opinion of Star Wars

The man. The myth.

Speculations on Lewis' opinion of Star Wars

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2004, 1:25 am

Forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this quesion.

What do you think Lewis would think of the Star Wars universe? I know that Lucas is heavily influenced by Joseph Campbell's writings. Would Lewis see Star Wars as a great modern myth of good triumphing over evil, or would he consider the movies as a harmful vehicle for Campbell's ideas?

Re: Speculations on Lewis' opinion of Star Wars

Postby Alan » December 23rd, 2004, 1:57 pm

This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » December 23rd, 2004, 10:28 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » January 3rd, 2005, 10:49 am

I think Lewis would have had things to say about "The Force" - which (in the films) has a good side and a bad side. Probably this is pure Dualism. (although - correct me if I'm wrong - didn't "The Force" actually turn out to be to do with some kind of microorganisms in the blood? sounds a bit like the 'is God a virus' question?)

I'm mostly reminded of the debate between Ransom and Weston in Perelandra where Weston has effectively called the Dark Powers into him, and is trying to convince Ransom that all spirituality, and all spirits, are the same.

This is what irritates me about Harry Potter (tho' I love watching the films as entertainment) - there seems to be no attempt to explain the source or the moral value of the magic and power that is freely used in the films, but they assume that there is moral good (represented by Dumbledore, Harry, Hermione, and Hagrid) and moral evil (represented by Voldemort and Malfoy), without actually saying from where the distinction arises (except that God is completely left out - Lewis's 'argument from morality' is of course fundamentally that you can't have moral absolutes without a personal Supreme Being)
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2005, 5:31 pm

Postby a_hnau » January 3rd, 2005, 8:54 pm

Hmmm, thanks. I don't know about anyone else, but this rather disillusioned me about The Force - if a Christian is supposed to have any illusions about a thing like that? :)
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby AslansGirl » January 3rd, 2005, 9:16 pm

You know, as much as I loved those movies when I was little, the older I get the more I think they were rather poorly thought up. I don't claim to be an expert. There are allot of confusing things, everything is very vague, not allot of consistency. Lukas seems to be making things up as he goes along. They don't have to make sense as long as there is a cool light-saber duel at the end (which was the only thing that saved Episode II from being a total waist of time IMO.)
If you are what you should be, you will set the workd ablaze!
AslansGirl
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » January 3rd, 2005, 9:32 pm

I think you're right. I'm reminded, though, of two things Lewis said. He wrote (while discussing what, if any, fiction - 'falsehoods' - we should tell children) that there's no point in withholding stories of boogie men from children, they'll think up enough things to be afraid of - we should tell them about fictional bad guys as long as we also tell them about fictional heroes who beat the bad guys so they have some hope when they are afraid. He also said that if you deprive people of spiritual food (where I'm applying this to things like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, stories that embody true myths) they will gobble poison (stories that seem to them, like Star Wars, to offer meaning but in fact lead down blind alleys). I would put things like X-Files in this category too (though I was astonished by the quote they gave Sculley right at the end - "We were searching for God, but I think He's been here all along").
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

True Myths

Postby Kanakaberaka » January 23rd, 2005, 8:38 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: True Myths

Postby K_Grape » January 24th, 2005, 1:50 am

K_Grape
Wardrobian

Myth-ing prequels

Postby Kanakaberaka » January 24th, 2005, 12:33 pm

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Re: Myth-ing prequels

Postby Guest » February 17th, 2005, 2:14 pm

Postby magpie » March 2nd, 2005, 10:19 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » March 8th, 2005, 2:09 am

Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis