This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Fiction or Christian Thought

The man. The myth.

Fiction or Christian Thought

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2005, 7:18 pm

As a relative newcomer to Lewis, I am curious how other Lewis fans view his writing. Do you feel his strength is in fiction or more in Christian thought and apologetics? Other than the oft published "Mere Christianity" that makes it's way to the shelves of nearly every Christian reader, what would you say is his second most defining work?

--Cornucopia

Re: Fiction or Christian Thought

Postby Leslie » February 24th, 2005, 7:28 pm

Hi Cornucopia - welcome!

Many would say that the Chronicles of Narnia are his most defining work. I would hazard a guess that these books are his best known, although I don't know how one would verify that.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » February 24th, 2005, 7:39 pm

I'm in the minority here because I don't particularly like fantasy, and never got past LWW to the rest of Narnia. (*looks around warily to see if she's going to be kicked out of the forum*) However, Lewis' apologetic works have had a huge impact on my life. After Mere Christianity, I'd say Screwtape is probably Lewis' most defining work.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Brian_Burgess » February 25th, 2005, 12:56 am

I think his strength is that there is a Christian influence in everything he writes ... fiction and non-fiction. My personal favorite are the Screwtape Letters.
Brian_Burgess
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » February 25th, 2005, 1:29 am

The irony of that is that Screwtape was also Lewis's least favorite of his works. But, you're right, it usually gets top billing on the short bios on the backside of Lewis's paperbacks, right below the stock picture of Lewis and his pipe.

My personal favorites are not his contiguous apologetic works or his fiction, but the collections of his essays and letters.
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby john » February 25th, 2005, 9:36 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby magpie » February 25th, 2005, 3:54 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Áthas » February 26th, 2005, 2:58 pm

It is the connection of christian thought and fiction that fascinated me. I watched "Shadowlands" and became interested, read the Chronicels of Narnia, happened to find the Space-trilogy in our loval library and once I had read it, I suddenly was a christian again. No author has been able to influence me in such a way - and to make christianity so attractive.
Áthas
Wardrobian

Return to C. S. Lewis