This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C. S. Lewis audio

The man. The myth.

C. S. Lewis audio

Postby Guest » February 26th, 2005, 2:17 pm

A visit to a bookshop yesterday on behalf of someone else led to me making a very exciting find indeed - a CDx2 recording of C. S. Lewis reading The Four Loves. I knew this recording existed and once had tried to buy it on the internet. Unfortunately the effort had failed and I had given up hope of hearing the master's voice for more than the few delightful seconds which the Multimedia section of the Wardrobe has. I listening to the first few minutes of the recording last night. How can one describe the excitement of listening to Lewis? He has a deep-ish voice, very plummy and, I suppose, a bit posh (off becomes orff. CSL almost makes two syllables out of the word 'best'). What really makes the recording super to listen to is when his voice rises or falls. It may be just me, but it feels like the audio equivilant of a friend telling you a little more about himself; or of discovering a new phase of a man's life in a biography.

The recording (with an Introduction and commentary by Charles Colson) is published by the W Publishing Group and is heartily recommended!

Malcolm

Re: C. S. Lewis audio

Postby magpie » February 26th, 2005, 4:22 pm

This work is also available on audio cassette. I bought mine many years ago, and I agree that this recording is a real gem. Both the tape and the CD can be ordered through Barnes and Noble on their website.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Re: C. S. Lewis audio

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2005, 3:25 pm

Return to C. S. Lewis