This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

POLL-If Lewis was alive today, to which would he belong?

The man. The myth.

Poll ended at March 23rd, 2005, 3:11 pm

63%
No votes
19%
No votes
6%
6%
6%

Total votes : 16

POLL-If Lewis was alive today, to which would he belong?

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2005, 3:11 pm

Re: POLL-If Lewis was alive today, to which would he belong?

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2005, 7:48 pm

Hallo Rudif,

Being a Catholic, I would love to claim Lewis for Holy Mother Church, however - notwithstanding what are to Catholics unorthodox Anglican doctrines such as women priests, which Lewis would never have agreed with - I do not think he would necessarily have crossed the Tiber, so's to speak. I say that because there were Catholic doctrines in his day which he did not agree with and which have not changed since his day: Marian doctrines, for example.

Truth to tell, I think it is impossible to say which church Lewis would be a member of today. Have you read the Lord of the Rings? There is that bit where Gandalf tells Frodo that the important thing (in life) is to make use of the time that is alloted to one. Lewis did just that, died, and please God, went to his reward. His story, as Aslan might have said, ended there. To ponder where he would be now is to take the man out of his context.

The above is just my opinion. Like you I would still be interested to read other people's thoughts on the matter!

Malcolm

Postby Bill » March 18th, 2005, 11:13 pm

If Jack was still alive today he would be 106 and probably past caring.

:lol:

Bill
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » March 19th, 2005, 12:09 am

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » March 19th, 2005, 12:14 am

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2005, 1:22 am

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2005, 1:40 am

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » March 19th, 2005, 2:22 am

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2005, 7:53 am

Hi Rudif,

Perhaps I shouldn't say this, but when I quoted The Lord of the Rings, although I was sure the quote was from the book, I actually had the scene from the film in my mind. Can you remind me which chapter in the book it appears in? Before posting, I checked my copy of LotR but I couldn't find it where I thought it was - in Shadows of the Past.

As for Lewis - would he have gone in a new direction? Perhaps, the issue of women priests would surely have affected him profoundly. & goodness knows what he would have made of the ordination of sexually active homosexuals. On the other hand, when he reverted to the Christian faith, it is surely significant that he remained within the Anglican Communion despite the best efforts (?) of Tolkien.

I have a very great respect for the Jesuits: for their brave work in my country (England) during the sixteenth / seventeenth century, for their missionary work all over the world since the Society's foundation, and most recently for their justice and peace work since the 60s. (There is one Jesuit, Daniel Berrigan, who is an anti war campaigner who I would love to learn more about). However, I cannot agree with any Jesuit - or Catholic for that matter - who seeks to downplay the importance of any doctrine concerning our Blessed Lady. Her mothership, her sinlessness, her queenship make her essential to the faith. You don't have to have a devotion to Mary in order to be a good Catholic, but you can't put her to one side if you want to understand Catholicism. For this reason, I would say that if Lewis had converted to the Catholic faith as a result of a priest downplaying the Marian doctrines then that priest would not have been as open about his faith as he should have been.

You said that Lewis was a liberal thinker and worldly. I have to admit, I have never thought of him as either! If you have a free moment, I would love to know if you are thinking of any particular aspect of Lewis' thought here.

Malcolm

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » March 19th, 2005, 8:19 am

Good grief! Mary wasn't sinless! She was as sinful as all of us. The only one without sin is Jesus Christ!
What you say was made up by the Catholic Church. You won't find it lining up with God's Word, so it isn't essential to the Christian faith.
Mary is not some godess!

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2005, 8:25 am

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2005, 8:27 am

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » March 19th, 2005, 8:35 am

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2005, 4:03 pm

Postby john » March 19th, 2005, 4:08 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis