This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Would it be legal to...

The man. The myth.

Would it be legal to...

Postby Micah » March 28th, 2005, 8:45 pm

...create an online C.S. Lewis index for locating certain words/topics within his body of work? I imagine it wouldn't be if you provided the actual texts of the books in their entirety. But what if it was just like a bound Bible concordance, where it just lists verses containing whatever word you're looking for--then you have to go to the Bible itself to find the actual text? For instance, if you type in 'boots', to find that bit about the elastic side boots, it would return something like God in the Dock, p. whatever, etc. I know there are C.S. Lewis indexes commercially available in book form, but it would be handy to have such a resource online.
"He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" ~ Micah 6:8 (NKJV)
Micah
Wardrobian

Re: Would it be legal to...

Postby Karen » March 28th, 2005, 8:56 pm

We don't need one of those, we have Sven. :) Actually, it's a good idea, and I'm pretty sure it would be legal...unless you'd be violating the copyright of the people who have already published such an index.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Benj » March 29th, 2005, 3:59 am

I actually had a similar idea which involved putting the entire text in a database or repository that you could search online (similar to blueletterbible.org). It would be great to be able to find some obscure quote when you can only remember one or two words. I know SQL and some Java, and I know you could make it work -- making it fast would be a more difficult challenge. By returning only snippets of Lewis's works that contain your search term, I think you could avoid copyright infringement. (Lawyers, correct me if I'm wrong, here.)

Does Dr. Zeus have access to a server that can run MySQL or SQL Server? Is there enough interest and support for this kind of development to make it worth looking into?

As an afterthought, with the Chronicles of Narnia films being released soon, might there not be more interest in Lewis's works? Perhaps the film distributors will be hosting a search engine as part of their marketing campaign. Did someone put up a search engine for Tolkien's works when Lord of the Rings was released? I can see there being more traffic to this site within nine months or so. It would be great to offer a search service to the serious Lewis fans and curiosity seekers both.
Benj
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » March 29th, 2005, 12:21 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby john » March 29th, 2005, 1:46 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Wixenstyx » March 29th, 2005, 5:20 pm

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
And one of the elders saith unto me, "Weep not:
Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah hath prevailed..."
Member of the 2456317 Club
Wixenstyx
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » March 29th, 2005, 6:23 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Wixenstyx » March 29th, 2005, 7:28 pm

And one of the elders saith unto me, "Weep not:
Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah hath prevailed..."
Member of the 2456317 Club
Wixenstyx
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » March 29th, 2005, 7:53 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Micah » March 30th, 2005, 8:20 am

Right--I think that would be a grand idea. I think if it was just limited to the effect of a Bible concordance, where you get the reference and perhaps four or five words in a phrase to provide context, that might be OK--as long as no one could somehow access larger portions of the texts through the program.
"He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" ~ Micah 6:8 (NKJV)
Micah
Wardrobian

Postby Micah » March 30th, 2005, 8:25 am

The Svendex, eh? :) Maybe I'll experiment with this in my spare time--start off with just one of his smaller books, add to it bit by bit. (heh...what spare time?)

As long as the texts themselves weren't available to the program user, but were only used to initially generate the index files with concordance-style references, I think that would be legit.
Micah
Wardrobian

Postby Lady Rebecca » March 30th, 2005, 8:35 pm

"Well, you know how it feels if you begin hoping for something that you want desperately badly; you almost fight against the hope because it is too good to be true; you've been disappointed so often before. But it was no good trying to throttle this hope. It might - really, really, it just might be true. So many odd things had happened already." - from the magician's nephew

Member 2456317 Club
Lady Rebecca
Wardrobian

Postby Micah » March 30th, 2005, 8:55 pm

Hi, Lady Rebecca

I think shorter quotes are fine, as long as the source is referenced--but then how short is 'short', right? :)
Micah
Wardrobian

Postby PurplePen » March 30th, 2005, 8:59 pm

Rule of thumb for the publishing industry: 8% or more of the whole is considered a "substantial" amount of material and needs to have permission from the copyright holder before being used in print. Unless you're talking about Children's Literature (pre-self-readers) or poetry (including song lyrics). Then more than a line or two will need permission. So... start counting up the words and do the math! :P

--Dawn
PurplePen
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » March 30th, 2005, 9:01 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Next

Return to C. S. Lewis